Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mystery clinking sound???

Old 03-12-2013, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery clinking sound???

Hello! I have searched for my exact problem so as not to bother anyone, but I haven't been successful. I have a 2009 Sahara and I have been hearing the strangest noise. It is faintly audible when I am INSIDE the car (Wife can't hear it), but when I get out of the car and put my ear near the exhaust I hear it at normal levels (Read: conversation levels).

What it sounds like: Metal clinking sound with a slight echo (Makes me think it is the muffler?) and it almost sounds like a high pitched dog bark.

When it happens: constantly when the car is on. It doesn't matter if we are driving on the highway, parking lot, or parked with the engine running, it happens. It isn't amplified by hitting bumps or accelerating or braking. ALSO there is to rhythm to the noise, so it isn't tire rubbing or anything.

I have climbed under the Jeep four or five times to diagnose exactly where it is coming from and my best guess is the rear.

Help???
Old 03-12-2013, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhaust pipe may be hitting the tranny skid plate.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Record a video so we can all hear/see and better help you

Quick Reply: Mystery clinking sound???