Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

is my tie rod done? (pics)

Old 04-29-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boon4376
Ruff Stuff has a new JK specific tie rod kit that they have told me works with the factory 17" wheels!! Great timing for me!

Jeep JK Tie Rod Kit - RuffStuff Specialties
I have a feeling your rims are going to kiss the jam nut at full lock. I had 4.75" backspacing and it still made contact. Cut a ribbon of alloy around the whole inner barrel of both front wheels. Even with heavily adjusted steering stops.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D_engel
I have a feeling your rims are going to kiss the jam nut at full lock. I had 4.75" backspacing and it still made contact. Cut a ribbon of alloy around the whole inner barrel of both front wheels. Even with heavily adjusted steering stops.
Emily at Ruff Stuff confirmed for me that these ones are fine with the 17" factory wheels - that said I have not tried, but she confirmed that while the other ones do not fit with the factory wheels, that this kit does

I have been reading about this kit, and it looks awesome, but I have one question.
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...g/TREOFFK.html

I have a 2013 JKU Sport S with stock 17" alloy wheels. I have read these fit 17" wheels, but some people complained that the factory 17" wheels rubbed.

Would I need aftermarket 17" steel wheels for this to fit correctly?

Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------
RuffStuff Specialties -
Apr 24 (5 days ago)

to me
Hi Matthew,
We are adding a JK specific Tie Rod kit to the website in the next couple of days. And they will fit factory or aftermarket 17" wheels, however your steering stabilizer bracket will not work with the tubing provided. This kit will run $127 unwelded. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Thank you,
Emily
Old 07-19-2014, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I finally got around to installing this, turns out Emily doesn't know what she's talking about, started backing out of the garage and GRRRR carved a nice chunk and ribbon out of my factory 17" alloys - only 3/4 a steering wheel turn off center.

Waiting to hear back from ruff stuff. Kinda pissed.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boon4376
Well I finally got around to installing this, turns out Emily doesn't know what she's talking about, started backing out of the garage and GRRRR carved a nice chunk and ribbon out of my factory 17" alloys - only 3/4 a steering wheel turn off center.

Waiting to hear back from ruff stuff. Kinda pissed.
Im running the same tie rod but I use 1 1/2" wheel spacers. I can see where it might be a problem those TRE's are beefy.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

After sending some pictures of everything to ruff stuff they admitted it was their bad. The factory 17's they tested were probably another variant. Mine are the plain looking ones that come on the Sport S package as well as the Freedom edition (I believe the same as moabs).

They've updated the page with more information about necessary offset and a warning about factory wheels.

They have actually been really helpful and are helping me out so I can get wheel spacers so I can still make use of this tie rod.
Pretty impressed with how great they went about this, and when I smash this tie rod in I'll be back to them for another one.

Last edited by boon4376; 07-23-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: is my tie rod done? (pics)