Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My thoughts on lifts

Old 01-22-2015, 02:28 PM
JK-Forum Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Page Coverage

Lots of good stuff here, but I had to disagree with some points...
Modifying a Jeep JK Wrangler: The Lift Question - JK Forum
Old 01-22-2015, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep

If you do all that which I did on a one lift 4 inches is my travel up or down any greater? I had to do it any way because the front warn bumper and winch pretty much collapsed my from springs till there was only 1/2 of space above the bump stops.

After reading most of this thread> I am still confused as to how you get more travel both up and down and which lift kits if any actually accomplish this.
Uptravel is limited by:

A. Tire hitting body /fender
B. Axle getting into frame or similar .
C. Shock body area when collapsed fully
D. Coil becoming compressed.

The higher the lift the more potential uptravel, but keep in mind high this doesn't mean high lifts are great. How big a tire is and what fenders you have on most jks are the key factors to up travel. Shocks should be picked accordingly...

Down travel is limited by:

A. Brake/esp lines
B. Driveshaft bind (ujoint or cv)
C. Shock extended length
D. Coils falling out

So to maximize travel you would need a kit accounting for all these variables (not common depending on build variations) . Set your bumps to make sure your tires don't hit at full bump. Once bumps are set measure the shock mounts at full bump and get a shock close to that compressed length and most extended. Try to no droop so far you are popping coils out or needing coil retainers as you lose the force pushing the axle down. Most kits arent optimal for all the variables on different jk setups. This is my brief run down from my phone i can try and go more in depth later.

Last edited by Maertz; 01-22-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J Banner
Lots of good stuff here, but I had to disagree with some points... Modifying a Jeep JK Wrangler: The Lift Question - JK Forum
I read your rebuttal. Adding a bunch of pretty pictures doesn't improve your argument or lend you credibility. And your misuse of quotes only makes you come off like an ass.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terrabit

I read your rebuttal. Adding a bunch of pretty pictures doesn't improve your argument or lend you credibility. And your misuse of quotes only makes you come off like an ass.
Agreed. Im pretty sure dirtman knows that bump stops compress lol. Imo pretty shitty to try and nit pick a thread that's helped ton from a member who put him time into it. Sure anyone can find something from someone to nit pick as not everyone puts a 100 percent thought out point covering all 100 percent of variables. Didnt really see a need to call him out all the time in there... Hell even my post just below yours is leaving alot of variables and stuff out,but hopefully helped, when im posting i dont always have tons of time to go all in depth.. The point of the thread was to try and help and if people need more help/explanations its a good gathering area for it.

Last edited by Maertz; 01-23-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Good post and read. I always think it is good to have more than one perspective on things.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I am fine with the rebuttal but you did nothing to prove me wrong or make the case for a big lift. Bumpstops do compress but most bolt on lifts use a solid extension on the bump stops, not a longer compressed stop so you will still loose the up travel in a lift that does not include longer shocks. You are spot on in tire and wheel size and tire flex but left out tire ratings as a higher rated E rated tire will have less sidewall flex then a C rated tire. Tire pressure will also affect the amount of sidewall flex at speed. Another note is that running a 37" tire requires a wider track then running a 33" tire that further increased stability at speed or in off camber situations. That extra width also make tight trails tougher to run, places extra wear and tear on components.

I can go into super detail on suspension design and set up but it would require a book length post. I wrote "my thoughts on lifts" to be clear and easy for a new jeeper to read and understand.
The following users liked this post:
gadawg31 (01-28-2022)
Old 01-23-2015, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

I can't get past the poor writing skills.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I wrote "my thoughts on lifts" to be clear and easy for a new jeeper to read and understand.
It certainly helped me. What TheDirtman says here makes a lot of sense.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:17 AM
JK Newbie

Just read this.....

This explains a lot without the "I know more" syndrome.
This was written because of all the confusion this thread has started.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cGcSumThin
Just read this..... Modifying a Jeep JK Wrangler: The Lift Question - JK Forum This explains a lot without the "I know more" syndrome. This was written because of all the confusion this thread has started.
Oh yeah, his explanation of bumpstop really clears it all up. I was totally confused till I read that. Thanks for pointing that out. And those pictures sure are pretty.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on lifts