Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My thoughts on lifts

Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
i dont know of anything you can add to your shock to gain lift? Do you mean on top of your coil? As in a coil spacer? To me the next thing on a good lift height and strong build would just be to get some long travel shocks and make sure your coils can handle them...
Sorry stupid typo, it was definitely a coil spacer...

I have the fox shocks that were an optional upgrade upgrade when I got the BDS 3" lift.

I've wondered what benefits I'd get if I had a better set of shocks with more travel...

Also, I'm still unclear what benefits I would get with a long arm suspension...

I go on trail rides with a moderate level of difficulty, some fairly steep elevation changes (at least for the NorthEast) a lots of large rocks but not crazy big boulders that you'd see a buggy taking on.

matthew
Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Sorry stupid typo, it was definitely a coil spacer...

I have the fox shocks that were an optional upgrade upgrade when I got the BDS 3" lift.

I've wondered what benefits I'd get if I had a better set of shocks with more travel...

Also, I'm still unclear what benefits I would get with a long arm suspension...

I go on trail rides with a moderate level of difficulty, some fairly steep elevation changes (at least for the NorthEast) a lots of large rocks but not crazy big boulders that you'd see a buggy taking on.

matthew
honestly is there anything it doesnt do you wished it did? I personally think all 2 doors that are doing some rocks and steeper climbs drastically benefit from even a small stretch, but that can be a decent project to some. I doubt you would see much difference in capabilities with a longarm. As far as long travel shocks go 12"~ (29" extended~) is plenty for most and most reasonable to set up. But theres a little more to shocks than just getting a 12" shock and trying to slap it in. It may not gain anything if you cant use some travel.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks!

OP: You saved me around $800. I'm a complete Jeep/Truck/Offroad noob, and I'm taking my '14 Sport in tomorrow to get spacers and tires instead of a full lift kit, wheels, tires, etc. Thank you so much!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I finally did it and went with 37's and I have a 3" lift + a 1", whatever you call it, on top of my shocks to give me a total of 4" and Bushwacker flat fenders and it's all working well together.

what would be my next step to improve my off-road capabilities?

matthew
Work on driver skills.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MikeSD
I wish I knew more about this stuff. I suspect you can put 37" on a Jeep that wasn't lifted, if you wanted to start cutting away at it. I guess I wonder, if 37s will run on a 3.5" lift, why would anyone EVER get a higher lift? I've heard people say, "get the smallest lift to accommodate your tires" but is that always true? Or let's play devil's advocate and ask, "if one put 37" tires on their jeep, what justification would there be for ever going higher than 3.5" lift?"

Just trying to understand this subject.
While TheDirtman has laid out some great info here and should easily get one started in understanding suspension, there is a bit more that can go into it.

There is a fad going on right now.... the LOG (Low Center of Gravity) movement. While I fully understand the desire to be low and stable, one loses quite a bit of clearance and tire travel in that configuration. Of course, as Dirtman points out... your tires are a big deal... they are the only way to get that lowest point of your car up, but... as one moves from trail driving to more exciting things, clearance in other areas makes a LOT of difference. My car is stretched to about 115.5"... just shy of the wheelbase of a four door. Break over angles become a real issue at that length and I set a goal for 24" of belly clearance (and I often wish for more).... to obtain that kind of clearance and keep my geometry all hunk dory, I effectively lifted my car 10". I do not feel the car is unstable in the least bit, although I am about 14" wider than stock.

All that being said, my personal opinion is that a 2.5" Budget Boost and 35" tires is more than adequate for 99.95% of Jeep owners, mall or crawl (which). I often wish I'd left mine there, as it was much more fun to play with in that config. So yeah.... get the smallest lift to accommodate the tire size you wish to live with... but try and be proactive. If you think your're getting a 33 today and a 37 next time, you might want to build to fit the 37 so you don't spend twice.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:33 PM
-

Originally Posted by ABENDX
While TheDirtman has laid out some great info here and should easily get one started in understanding suspension, there is a bit more that can go into it.

There is a fad going on right now.... the LOG (Low Center of Gravity) movement. While I fully understand the desire to be low and stable, one loses quite a bit of clearance and tire travel in that configuration. Of course, as Dirtman points out... your tires are a big deal... they are the only way to get that lowest point of your car up, but... as one moves from trail driving to more exciting things, clearance in other areas makes a LOT of difference. My car is stretched to about 115.5"... just shy of the wheelbase of a four door. Break over angles become a real issue at that length and I set a goal for 24" of belly clearance (and I often wish for more).... to obtain that kind of clearance and keep my geometry all hunk dory, I effectively lifted my car 10". I do not feel the car is unstable in the least bit, although I am about 14" wider than stock.

All that being said, my personal opinion is that a 2.5" Budget Boost and 35" tires is more than adequate for 99.95% of Jeep owners, mall or crawl (which). I often wish I'd left mine there, as it was much more fun to play with in that config. So yeah.... get the smallest lift to accommodate the tire size you wish to live with... but try and be proactive. If you think your're getting a 33 today and a 37 next time, you might want to build to fit the 37 so you don't spend twice.
all I heard was "car."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2014, 12:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by aaronstephen

all I heard was "car."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol. Glad I'm not the only one lol.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:17 PM
JK Jedi

car
kär/
noun
  • a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine and able to carry a small number of people.

Does it not fit that definition?

But anyway i agree on the lcog while i also see the benfits and such, not many people here truly need to be concerned with that and if your going for looks anyway put on whatever you feel is "cool" Almost any of kits will handle most peoples offroad desires. You can go thru here and get tons of great info to help you decide but in reality everyones version of offroading and hardcore offroading varies, so there will always be some different opinions..
Old 05-15-2014, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am glad this came up using the search function................awesome information!!

Thanks to all who contributed. I have a lot of reading to do
Old 05-15-2014, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Maertz
car
kär/
noun

[*]a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine and able to carry a small number of people.

Does it not fit that definition?

But anyway i agree on the lcog while i also see the benfits and such, not many people here truly need to be concerned with that and if your going for looks anyway put on whatever you feel is "cool" Almost any of kits will handle most peoples offroad desires. You can go thru here and get tons of great info to help you decide but in reality everyones version of offroading and hardcore offroading varies, so there will always be some different opinions..
See where u wrote "a road vehicle"? The Jeep is the road vehicle and the greatest off road vehicle. When u see muhammad Ali do u say look a boxer or ali? Lol jk it's just a ribbing buddy

Quick Reply: My thoughts on lifts