Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My thoughts on lifts

Old 04-24-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure how long my shock are, is there a way to tell? I have them in the box, the whole lift actually is screaming "put me on". Lol
Old 04-24-2014, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can go to Bilstiens website and get the info from there
Old 04-24-2014, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

So according to the web I have- collapsed 15.39", extended 25.00". And collapsed 14.98", extended 24.63". So did I get the right shocks?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:21 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Sounds right, about 2" longer then stock travel.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

I didn't want to get too over-the-top with the lift thing so I just put a TF leveling kit on w/ extended shocks and extended brake lines- called it good and everything seems to work fine. The vehicle doesn't sit too high and articulates well, at least in the shop as this is a new vehicle and the trails I want to do are closed 'til June. There is now plenty of room for 33s (I know you can run 33s stock) to move around as 255/80s will go on after the stocks are done. I added an oil pan/tranny skid and some LCA skids, and other beefing up. I'm happy with the look and I think it will be a great light to moderate rig with a little extra over stock. Any more lift up front and the drive line would be rubbing on the exhaust at full droop, as is it is barely touching at full droop- don't really want to replace the front shaft and don't want any more of an angle on the front drive shaft at full droop.

Last edited by ram190; 04-25-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Tires are going to gain you the most in the off road capabilities, followed by gears, and lockers. Lifts imo are just adjustments so that you can properly run bigger tires.
Let me see if I understand the point. I'm a casual off-roader. Never going to be hardcore. But I do want 35" tires to improve my Rubicon a bit anyway. Do I understand that I'd be better off with a 3" lift (that doesn't require new drive shafts) over a 4.5" lift (that does require drive shafts)? I really have no other reason for the lift, other than to clear tires. I would still be regearing the jeep.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would say you would be better off with flat fenders and a 3/4" spacer up front to run 35" tires. But given the limited amount of information about you and what kind of trails/driving skills you have a 3" would be better then a 4.5"
Old 05-06-2014, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would say you would be better off with flat fenders and a 3/4" spacer up front to run 35" tires. But given the limited amount of information about you and what kind of trails/driving skills you have a 3" would be better then a 4.5"
Ok, here goes.

My Jeep: Stock 08 Rubicon, 4 door.

I'm a casual trails driver. Not a rock crawler at all. But I might give it a shot, in the coming year. I'd like to make a trip to Moab this year and try out some of the easier trails. Quite frankly, I'm not concerned with the technical details of driving as much as I don't like high places. Some of the trails I've seen would scare the horns off a billy goat. And I know I don't have to do anything to my Jeep, for that. So that would make me a novice (unless there is something lower). I've been driving my Jeep for about 5 years on all sorts of mountain roads, trails and such though. Just nothing rock specific.

That said, that's not the point of what I'm trying to do with my Jeep. I am trying to give my 08 Rubicon a new look (a makeover so to speak). I was thinking about buying a new jeep but liked my 08 better than the new ones. So, I set out trying to build a crawler (even though I would never be hardcore at it). My goal is to build something functionally better than my stock Rubicon. And I know full well that rock crawling is more about driving skills than hardware. But I specifically wanted to build it as one might, if they were moderately skilled. That might not make sense to some but that was my goal. It needs to be functional and not just have an outward look.

My objective was to put 35" tires on the Jeep. I'm also geting new 17" wheels. I wanted the lift for the same reason a person who was a crawler might want one. Even though I might not use it for that purpose. I was initially looking at a 4.5" 4-link suspension, but after reading this thread, I'm not sure that would accomplish anything more than a 3.5" lift. I was planning to regear with 5.13 gears. I'm adding new bumpers and a winch (trying to leave brands out, even though I have some picked out). I'll be changing the fenders as well.

So, I guess that steers my question to: "Would a moderately skilled rock crawler be better off with a 3.5" lift over a 4.5" lift, using 35" tires, on a 4 door Rubicon?"

Last edited by MikeSD; 05-06-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MikeSD- suggest Low Center of Gravity 2.5"~ 3" coil spring lift since you will add bumpers and winch. Install front adjustable track bar and front lower control arms to dial in caster and add C gussets. Going to 3.5" and above is overkill for what you will wheel and will add to cost to fix other issues at that height. If you do not add bumper and winch, budget boost puck spacers would work. Taller rig= more money.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:25 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Why do you think a bigger lift would be better? No wrong answer, just trying to get your thought process on lifts. For some reason you picked 4.5" for 35" tires and just wonder why. Rock crawling has absolutely nothing to do with my write up, it would apply to any lifted vehicle running any trails or on road.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on lifts