Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My thoughts on lifts

Old 03-29-2014, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read through this thread and there is a lot of fantastic info. I have a 2014 JKUR on order and I am ordering part for its arrival. I have determined that I want a 2.5" lift but I am stuck on the various types. I don't want to blow the bank but I would like a good starting point to build off of as the Jeep evolves. I am concerned with the types of spring rates that aid in articulation, handling, ride and resistance to sagging. Would a dual or progressive rate spring be ideal over a linear one? I will be running a 35" tire with the future being at 37" and flat fenders.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Creatrix98
I have read through this thread and there is a lot of fantastic info. I have a 2014 JKUR on order and I am ordering part for its arrival. I have determined that I want a 2.5" lift but I am stuck on the various types. I don't want to blow the bank but I would like a good starting point to build off of as the Jeep evolves. I am concerned with the types of spring rates that aid in articulation, handling, ride and resistance to sagging. Would a dual or progressive rate spring be ideal over a linear one? I will be running a 35" tire with the future being at 37" and flat fenders.
I am not 100% on this! but others may have direct experience. I'm thinking if you plan on 37's in the future, installing a 2.5" now, you may be trimming some body and pinch seams later. If you will eventually run 37's, best (and more cost effective as well as less down time) to set up for it now, even if running 35's.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
I am not 100% on this! but others may have direct experience. I'm thinking if you plan on 37's in the future, installing a 2.5" now, you may be trimming some body and pinch seams later. If you will eventually run 37's, best (and more cost effective as well as less down time) to set up for it now, even if running 35's.
When the time comes for 37's I will be doing some trimming and/or 1/2" spacers.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:39 AM
JK Newbie

Hi all. I have a shorty on 37s with a 2 synergy coils, fox shocks and arb adjustable track bar (and lots of cutting and grinding done). Do you think it is worthwhile getting adjustable lower control arms with such a small lift?
Old 04-10-2014, 06:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

It depends on if you need the extra strength of an aftermarket arm. I doubt you would notice a difference geometry wise.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks dirtman. I'm not really after strength so I'll spend the money elsewhere. Based on what I described as my setup in your opinion is there a benefit in spending any more money on the suspension? Drive mainly mud and rocks with a bit of sand driving.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

No, not really.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:53 AM
JK Newbie

Perfect thanks
Old 04-12-2014, 04:20 AM
JK Freak

I finally took of the Daystars 0.75" coil spacers (all around) and put Daystars 1.75" coil spacers (all around). Didn't have to change anything else for now but will put JKS quick disco next. Thanks a lot for the help on this thread

First pic is 0.75" (33" tires) and second is 1.75" (33" tires)

Old 04-13-2014, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by terrabit
Well, it appears that I have a 1.5" lift. I went back and looked up the item on my purchase order and it is that of a 2.5" lift for a two door JK. This was confirmed by Joe who was timely in his responses up to that point. It appears that the lift hight is in line with what it should be given that these springs are standard for the 1.5" 4 door coil lift. However, this still does not explain why the driver side is 1/2" higher than the other, which is true whether the tank is full or not (a ready explanation when this came up after the initial install). This has been a good learning experience for me, one I won't forget. Thanks anyway.
Update: I just need to add that Joe came through for me in a big way - best customer service experience I've had in a long time. He would have been well within his rights to tell me to kick rocks but he didn't (my issue was 100% user error). The extra bit of travel made all the difference. The ride on these TF springs is great; smooth on the highway but also eats up moderate hits at speed much better than it did before (have yet to crawl them). I'm very pleased. Thanks Joe, my faith in Teraflex is affirmed.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on lifts