Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My thoughts on lifts

Old 03-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rubijorge
what was the issue? too stiff? I see they put BFG 265/70R17E KM2 on the 2013 rubi 10th anniversary which surprised me as a stock tire. its wider but smaller dia than mine. that's why I figured the 255/80E would be good choice. same width bigger dia. for the factory to put an E on I figured its ok?
Yes. To stiff. To get a compliant ride on a lighter 2 door, you have to run such a low psi that you start cold mornings with flat spots that take a while to warm up and go away.

I have run 35x12.50r17 Toyo MTs on my 2 dr, and I've run them on my lifted, 2012 Ram 3500 crew cab diesel truck. It is clear that they were designed for applications like my truck--with which I tow up to 15k lbs.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Yes. To stiff. To get a compliant ride on a lighter 2 door, you have to run such a low psi that you start cold mornings with flat spots that take a while to warm up and go away.
That was my experience also.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I just got back from Moab and gotta say my 2" lift and load E range 34" Toyos fit the bill just fine. aired down to about 15psi and never had any issues on any surface that Moab has to offer. It rained before we got there and while we were there a bit and no issues at all with AT2's. Other then a little clearance issue on the rear stock tow hook and tow hitch 2" gave me plenty of clearance for the stuff I will do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqSBSczzVwQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJm1qcOlzk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCHP3_5QraU
Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM
JK Jedi

How the tires feel is always going to be an opinion. I ran mine on street around 18 warm. As planman said some mornings before the tire warmed up it had a flat spot till it warmed up. It will still perform fine and be a tough tire usually, but is most likely overkill for many applications. But to each his own.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah that's what I figured. rated for a much heavier truck. that's why I was surprised to find the E tires as orig equip on a 2013 rubi in the 10th anniv package! well E1 if theres a diff. im prob just gonna leave mine stock. seems like less likelihood of trouble down the line. great vids by the way. that looks like rose garden hill? up to top of the world from onion creek. done it on a beta 200 alp some years back, 2004. mc sure feels wayn safer on the edge than the jeep!! back to tires, if I recall on the bfg charts, any large tire that one would want to put on a lifted jk, say 35x12.5 or so, to get the necessary C rating for optimum ride or should I say to really properly match tire for designed use, you would need to go with 16" rims? any of the bigger sizes go up in rating. seems there is a lot to think about to get this right, and a lot of info out there is just aimed at making a sale. IF I ever attempt to mod up my jeep , say next set of tires , warranty expired, 40k mi or so, seems best bet is to pay close attention to each component instead of buying into a package deal. and spend a lot of time reading here. again thx for all the info.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

I'm looking into getting a 4" lift. I want to run 35s on it. Will I need drop pitman arm and drop transfer case? New to this.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JToth
I'm looking into getting a 4" lift. I want to run 35s on it. Will I need drop pitman arm and drop transfer case? New to this.
Did you read the very first post that started this thread? You do know that you do not need 4" lift for 35"?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 AM
JK Jedi

You "should" get many things. It will all depends on what comes with your kit. I would NOT get a drop pitman arm. You should be looking at a drag link flip as well as a raised track bar, as well as other things. What are your intended uses and what year/style jeep do you have. Also have you fully read through this thread?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

If you have flat fenders just get a 1.5" lift and and if you have stock fenders get 2.5"
Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Dirtman,
After reading your post I'm curious what requires the wheel backspacing requirements to change with a larger diameter tire.
I have a '10 2dr. Rubi with 3.5" RK lift. I have 315/75/16 KM2's on 16x8 wheels with 4.5" BS.
The KM2's only measured about 33.25" installed on the Jeep and I think the tires look too small for the lift.
I've lived with them for 3 years and 30K miles and now I would like to go with 37's (I know I need new wheels as there aren't many 16" choices for 37's).
I see several wheels I like that have the same 4.5" BS...but you say 3" BS.
Just looking for an explanation so I don't screw up (again)

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Quick Reply: My thoughts on lifts