Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My thoughts on lifts

Old 03-02-2014, 04:00 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rubijorge
lots of great info, thx. so to ask as simply as possible; I have a stock 2dr, 2012 rubicon w/ 6 spd man. I have 21000 mi so am getting close to replacing tires. I was gonna go with the stock BFGoodrich mudterrains as Im not really into all the problems associated with a lift on this year 2dr (driveshaft, exhaust, etc) and to be honest it has got me over some crazy stuff here in Colorado and Utah. Ive got good at wheel placement/line. so the question is; if I were to go with flat fenders and 1.5" wheel spacers on the stock rubi rims, what is the biggest tire I could run w/o any other mods (no bumpstops, springs, shocks)?? I would be willing to cut the pinch seam/stock rockrails. stock spare measures 32+ so I feel 33 would be no prob and 35 the max? thx
You can run 35s with stock front springs and bumpstops if you run flat flares and 1.5" wheel spacers.

In the rear, you will need to cut a good amount off the rear fender well pinch seam to run 35s. If you aggressively remove material from the rear pinch seams right up to the spot welds, you should be close to good with stock bumpstops.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
You can run 35s with stock front springs and bumpstops if you run flat flares and 1.5" wheel spacers.

In the rear, you will need to cut a good amount off the rear fender well pinch seam to run 35s. If you aggressively remove material from the rear pinch seams right up to the spot welds, you should be close to good with stock bumpstops.
thx for reply. actually the more I look at tire charts BFG 255/80R17 KM2's are the same width on stock rubi rim as the 255/75R17 KM stock tire but they are 1.2" bigger in dia. (33.3 vs 32.1). seems like I shld be able to run these w/o any spacers and poss stock flares? they are however E vs C so they may be too stiff?(rated over 1000lb higher per tire @ 121 vs 111). would prob need to run em lower pressure to get a decent ride which would negate the increase in dia. and have the tire nanny complaining on the dash. prob not worth the mismatch in vehicle/tire. seems jeep and bfg did a good job matching the stock tire to its intended use. hmm seems no matter what I think of changing it will affect 3 more things!!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by rubijorge
thx for reply. actually the more I look at tire charts BFG 255/80R17 KM2's are the same width on stock rubi rim as the 255/75R17 KM stock tire but they are 1.2" bigger in dia. (33.3 vs 32.1). seems like I shld be able to run these w/o any spacers and poss stock flares? they are however E vs C so they may be too stiff?(rated over 1000lb higher per tire @ 121 vs 111). would prob need to run em lower pressure to get a decent ride which would negate the increase in dia. and have the tire nanny complaining on the dash. prob not worth the mismatch in vehicle/tire. seems jeep and bfg did a good job matching the stock tire to its intended use. hmm seems no matter what I think of changing it will affect 3 more things!!
Having experienced it myself, skip the load range E tires on a 2 door.

Instead, run load range C Goodyear MTR Kevlar 35x12.50R17s and use Spidertrax wheel spacers if you want to use stock wheels and run 35s.

If you need to add 1" rear extended bumpstops, it really isn't that big a deal.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

So, in dirtman/planmans' opinions, would it be a bad thing to swap stock springs/ shocks out if I have a 2 door sport with a soft top and the set I'm contemplating swapping to is from a JKU sport, hardtop, low miles? Or, would it be more effective to look for springs and shocks from a rubicon? I'm not looking to lift, since I'm on 33's, but I'd like some firmer suspension, since I'm starting to tow some and I'd like to have some peace of mind knowing the suspension can handle it.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what they will say for sure, but I think they will say its a good swap if you don't want a lot of lift (just stiffer). It will help with towing. I would be sure to leave a little rake if you are going to tow. Say 17/60 or 19/60 with a winch. My opinion...anyway.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:00 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by Gforce!
So, in dirtman/planmans' opinions, would it be a bad thing to swap stock springs/ shocks out if I have a 2 door sport with a soft top and the set I'm contemplating swapping to is from a JKU sport, hardtop, low miles? Or, would it be more effective to look for springs and shocks from a rubicon? I'm not looking to lift, since I'm on 33's, but I'd like some firmer suspension, since I'm starting to tow some and I'd like to have some peace of mind knowing the suspension can handle it.
You have to go by the spring numbers. Reports show variability in what rigs actually received the higher number springs.

I ran a 2.5" TF BB with swapped front springs to a higher number for a while after adding a front steel bumper and a winch to my 2dr. It worked well. I didn't have a need to swap the rear springs.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman
You have to go by the spring numbers. Reports show variability in what rigs actually received the higher number springs. I ran a 2.5" TF BB with swapped front springs to a higher number for a while after adding a front steel bumper and a winch to my 2dr. It worked well. I didn't have a need to swap the rear springs.
I figured as much, just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the advice, you guys know your stuff
Old 03-03-2014, 09:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JLsJK
I don't know what they will say for sure, but I think they will say its a good swap if you don't want a lot of lift (just stiffer). It will help with towing. I would be sure to leave a little rake if you are going to tow. Say 17/60 or 19/60 with a winch. My opinion...anyway.
I'd think that as long as I don't have a leveling kit, it'd still have rake, right? Since all wranglers have rake?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

I'd think that as long as I don't have a leveling kit, it'd still have rake, right? Since all wranglers have rake?
That is why I only swapped the front springs. I didn't want stiffer or longer rear springs.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the numbers you install. I'm pretty sure if you put 59 or 60 in the rear you will have a little rake. But if you put the longest ones(19) on the front, when you tow(depending on towing weights) you may be nose up. If I were going to tow often I would put 17/60 and if your going to put a winch on the front I would put 19/60. I've swapped springs 3 times. Twice front and rear, once just front. I ended up with 19-59. I prefer having the rake. That's my suggestion. What exactly do you have now?

Quick Reply: My thoughts on lifts