Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My thoughts on lifts

Old 02-07-2014, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ncalenda
What would you do diff today? I'm thinking of doing 2.5 lift with 34's, the AEV kit. Looks like what you did.
I have a BB lift and 33" tires. If I had it all to do again, I would not have change the suspension at all..... My Jeep if more affected by the wind for HWY driving and I had a bout with DW. Now, I know it was my fault and I know if I would have done it right the first time I might not of had the problems but I have the lifetime warranty and if I would have left it alone Chrysler would have fixed it for me. I feel that I jumped into a lift too fast without really thinking of how I was going to use it. 33" tires and trimmed fenders would have been the better choice for me.....
Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
a gas charged steering stabilizer can cause the jeep to pull one way.
I added a 2.5" teraflex coil lift along with front track bar to my 2013 jkur a while back. It has pulled to the right ever since. It doesn't seem to pull on perfectly flat pavement but if it's going to pull, it pulls right. Could this be because of the stock stabilizer?

PS: Thanks to you and Planman for taking the time to write all this stuff up. Sorry deucheboy had to f it all up. It'd be nice if one of the moderators went through and removed all his garbage. Anyway, thanks.

Last edited by k0260; 02-16-2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 02-17-2014, 07:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

No, the factory steering stabilizer is not gas charged so it will not push or pull the steering. Did you loosen all the control arm and track bar bolts and re-torgue them down after you did the lift? Crown in the road can also cause pull to the right.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default It had to be said...

This is my first post and registered just for this post. I had to do it to say this.

Thank you TheDirtman and Planman. I'm sure it has been said several times over but the thanks is certainly deserved for such an informative piece of work. Thanks again.

Last edited by Umbra Vipera; 02-18-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Read the first post only and didn't realize Planman's contribution!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great thread, should be mandatory for all jeep newbs!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
No, the factory steering stabilizer is not gas charged so it will not push or pull the steering. Did you loosen all the control arm and track bar bolts and re-torgue them down after you did the lift? Crown in the road can also cause pull to the right.
Yes, did that. Per the instruction manual, I lowered the jeep to the ground and let it settle under its own weight before torquing the nuts and bolts to spec. It could well be road crown. Any point in trying upgraded steering stabilizers?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously a ton of great information - thanks to TheDirtman for the OP and all the great information (and Planman for his awesome contributions as well).

I currently have a '14 JKU with 15" Level 8 Trackers (3.75" bs). I also have a 1.5" Teraflex performance leveling kit (coils), which is 2" up front and 1" in the back with stock shocks and bump stops. I'm currently running 33" Duratracs, but I'd like to upgrade to 35" tires when these are done. Based on what I've read here, I *think* I should be able to keep the suspension as-is and add some flat fenders to give enough clearance for the 35s without worrying about rubbing (the pinch-weld is pre-trimmed on the 2014, so I won't have to worry about that). Will this work, or am I way off-base here?
Old 02-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7kings
Obviously a ton of great information - thanks to TheDirtman for the OP and all the great information (and Planman for his awesome contributions as well). I currently have a '14 JKU with 15" Level 8 Trackers (3.75" bs). I also have a 1.5" Teraflex performance leveling kit (coils), which is 2" up front and 1" in the back with stock shocks and bump stops. I'm currently running 33" Duratracs, but I'd like to upgrade to 35" tires when these are done. Based on what I've read here, I *think* I should be able to keep the suspension as-is and add some flat fenders to give enough clearance for the 35s without worrying about rubbing (the pinch-weld is pre-trimmed on the 2014, so I won't have to worry about that). Will this work, or am I way off-base here?
You can run 35s with flat flares and stock front bumpstops. However, even with flat flares, you will either need rear extended bumpstops, or to trim more of the pinch seam, or both.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
You can run 35s with flat flares and stock front bumpstops. However, even with flat flares, you will either need rear extended bumpstops, or to trim more of the pinch seam, or both.
It sounds like I may be better off installing a 2.5" complete kit instead of trying to stuff 35s under what I have now.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

My Rubicon Express 2.5" kit just came in. I'm waiting for my 33" duratracs to show up and I will let you know.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: My thoughts on lifts