Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My thoughts on lifts

Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now like many people I made a post asking people there opinions on lifts in the hope to help make up my mind. Then I was told to read this thread. I found it to be very informative and helpful for me to make up my mind as to the type of lift that was right for me.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRooster
I was on PBB years ago when I had the K5 rock crawler. It's just so huge now I can't find anything.

Thanks for all the links. Helping out already.

I'm having fantasies that exceeded my budget, like building a stock class or stock mod class KOH racer. In all reality, I won't likely be touching the stock suspension any time in 2014. It'll be a stretch just to get the tires I want unless my other house sells. Two mortgages sucks!
You're in a unique position.... once you figure the basics out, you can get eyes on your project when you decide to build.... PBB is pretty good for that, but you must be thick skinned. Even better would be to get someone to help you build the entire thing... someone that's been there, done that. I learned a lot from reading and asking, but it was my buddy that helped me build mine that really took me from straight up dumb-ass to a little less than stupid. Something about hands on and a good teacher that isn't afraid to let you do the work while they watch over.

PBB is in fact huge.... but most every question you can think of has already been answered, hashed out and re-answered.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This really is a very well written and put together tons of great info!
Old 01-22-2014, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Truly appreciate this thread in all entirety. Gonna keep from going over my lift requirements now and save that money for better upgrades, like shocks and such.

Did have a question though. You discussed the existence of lower arms with bends for clearance, is there a negative for this or just pointing them out as an option?

Thanks fellas too bad it hasn't stopped the what lift threads.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:31 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

As long as the bends don't interfere with other components they don't do any other harm or change the geometry of the lift. Most arms have some kind of bend to them at least in the front.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default Awesome Thread Dirtman!

I'd thought about the whole "dude, you gonna put a lift on it" and it's not the amount of money that I want to spend rather to knock off the factory flares and put on some more narrow flares, metal of course...that abs plastic stuff I can't do. I like doing what others don't do...I am definitely an individual lol!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rambler_baby82
I'd thought about the whole "dude, you gonna put a lift on it" and it's not the amount of money that I want to spend rather to knock off the factory flares and put on some more narrow flares, metal of course...that abs plastic stuff I can't do. I like doing what others don't do...I am definitely an individual lol!
I would really prefer to put the wide Ace flat fenders, but two things...

i need total coverage of the tread on my factory wheels/tires that I will use one day a year to pass inspection

and secondly I've read multiple posts from folks who said that they had body damage that was equal to or even greater than the original impact to the body of a Jeep vs. the impact of a plastic flat fender...

mainly for maximum coverage I'm leaning towards the Bushwacker flats before spring comes, as my 37's when the sway bar is disconnected, start trying to eat up my factory fenders..

matthew
Old 01-28-2014, 01:45 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I doubt you are going to find a fender that is going to give you full coverage on a 37x12.5" tire unless you run a 4.5" bs wheel and limit your steering. A 37x12.5" tire needs a bs of 3.5" not to rub on components and will push the wheels out past the fenders. If you are conerned about coverage laws don't run 37's or keep your factory wheels for inspection day.

The steel fenders damage the body and plastic ones won't is complete bs. Use a fender that attaches to the body supports and not just the thin fender and you will be fine. I ran bushwhacker flat fenders and they pushed in the sheet metal.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman

The steel fenders damage the body and plastic ones won't is complete bs. Use a fender that attaches to the body supports and not just the thin fender and you will be fine. I ran bushwhacker flat fenders and they pushed in the sheet metal.
Dirtman-

You are the Jeep myth-buster!

It's kind of funny how things get said, believed, multiplied and become in-stone truths. Now, if I had made that statement, people would call "foul". When The Dirtman says it, the skies clear, rainbows appear and unicorns prance on the trails.

This is why you have the standing with all of us that you do, Dirtman. Thank you for shining a light in the dark corners.....
Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 PM
JK Newbie

great info in this thread...making me look back over what i've done to my heep.... would i have done things differently...hmmmmm

Quick Reply: My thoughts on lifts