Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My Superchip milage.... FAIL!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tchaap
You don't like the Superchips, fair enough...have you actually tried the AEV?
No have not tried AEV but my point is if you are buying Superchip for tuning to get better gas milage? you should save $200 and put it in your gas tank...

That being said i am going to continue to try other performance settings to see if i get better gas results.

As far as the move to 35's, i didn't see any noticable power difference with stock tune over my 32's. I did see a 2-3 loss in MPG though.
I do have an auto.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is probably not a fail of your superchip programer... both runs were close (300 vs 312 mi). The problem more likely lack of a good control group (aka baseline milage.. from stock). There are numerous variables that contribute to milage (speed, acceleration, city & hwy combo, wind, hills, traffic, temp... etc). You would have to do one of 2 choices to get a better test.

1. continue to do more comparison runs and average them out (the more comparisons you do the more accurate the results)

2. run a comparison test where you keep all variables the same (or at least as much as possible.

I'm not saying superchips is the greatest thing or garenteed to save a ton of gas but even if somthing simple like driving with the top down a day or two more during one of you tests could have easily produced the results you got...

Hope this helps
Old 06-07-2011, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the superchips and used the mileage tune a couple days ago, i dont see any difference from stock gas mileage either, im gonna try the performance and tow tune tomorow to see if that helps, but would u guys recommend performance or tow tune (87 or 89 octane) for better gas mileage
Old 06-07-2011, 05:29 PM
pik
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pfunk300
It is probably not a fail of your superchip programer... both runs were close (300 vs 312 mi). The problem more likely lack of a good control group (aka baseline milage.. from stock). There are numerous variables that contribute to milage (speed, acceleration, city & hwy combo, wind, hills, traffic, temp... etc). You would have to do one of 2 choices to get a better test.

1. continue to do more comparison runs and average them out (the more comparisons you do the more accurate the results)

2. run a comparison test where you keep all variables the same (or at least as much as possible.

I'm not saying superchips is the greatest thing or garenteed to save a ton of gas but even if somthing simple like driving with the top down a day or two more during one of you tests could have easily produced the results you got...

Hope this helps
I totally agree....on one run/trial you had .5 less mpg. I would not call that a "waste on money". I would like the tool just to check engine codes,. change tire sizes, etc.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing to remember is that you will never drive even close to the same, have the same weather, wind, etc. on two tankfulls of gas. A 12 mile difference on two tanks is not a very big difference at all. The main benefit I like about my Superchips is the smoother gas pedal feel while accelerating and haven't really noticed much difference in mileage.

Quick Reply: My Superchip milage.... FAIL!