Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My Superchip milage.... FAIL!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Superchip milage.... FAIL!

So few months back after getting some 35"s i decided to get supercip flash pack. I was on the fence between this and for less than half the price, the AEV procal.
but..... I bought superchip for its added performance features.
I used the milageX setting that is suppose to increase MPG. After adding 35's i figure if i got back close to stock MPG i would be satisified.
After few tanks of gas seemed to not help at ALL!
So i decided to test it. Set it back to stock and just change my tire size, then filled the gas tank. I got 312 miles on my MTR's with kevlar that measure 34.5" on my wheels. I actually ran it until i literally ran out of gas as i have a rear gas can mount. Then i filled it back up and changed from stock to MilageX performance setting with tire size set as well.
Results?! 300 miles before i ran out of gas.
Conclusion = Superchip Flashpaq is NOT worth the extra money!
I lost 12 miles and spent extra $200! FAIL!
And since MilageX doesn't work i would doubt any of the other performance setting work either. Most of them just make my engine ping something awfull.

Save your money and get AEV procal or something in that price range.....
~Mad P
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear but...

You're probably the only one here with this problem... maybe bad superchip...
Old 06-07-2011, 11:13 AM
bkw
JK Freak

When you set your ECU back to stock tire height, did you swap out your stock tires too?

**edit** nevermind, I reread your post more carefully this time and saw that you kept your tire settings and set your ECU program back to stock.

However, I do have another question. Do you normally get over 300 miles per tankful on an auto w/ 35's? That's quite impressive considering that I rarely see anything above 260 miles before LOW FUEL begins flashing on the MID. Then again, I'm armored up.

Last edited by bkw; 06-07-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

From what I have seen with programmers the mileage setting usually don't do the best on gas. Try it with performance tune or one of the other setting and see what you get. I would almost bet those settings will provide better mileage.
A case in point my good friends duramax on gas saver gets 19 to a gallon, while on performance he gets 24.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bkw
When you set your ECU back to stock tire height, did you swap out your stock tires too?
No he left the new tire size in. He said it.

I haven't tried the mileage setting but I certainly can tell a difference in using the performance settings. The shift points are a marked improvement. I definitely haven't seen big mpg savings but that's not really why I bought it.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was comparing stock flash setting with tire size set to 34.5"
verse
MilageX performance setting with tire size set to 34.5"

I would say about 60% highway, 40% city.
Stock got 312 miles
MilageX got 300 miles

I will try a different performance setting with i fill up next time but MilageX does not help mpg!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a Superchips tuner with my last truck (01 F-150). I wasn't impressed. I was able to correct my speedometer/odometer and raising the tranny shift points was nice but I couldn't tell it helped performance.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

I experienced the same with our 08 Rubicon that is all stock. Mileagex didn't help at all. I keep it on the 87 octane tune and get better mileage.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM
JK Jedi

Tow Tune - that is where I get my best mileage & no pinging.

With your pinging issues....check your throttle body, it could be carboned up spray some seafoam deep clean in the throttle body. Also, Run a can of Seafoam in your tank, and use 1/2 bottle through your brake booster vacuum line to clean out your injectors. Then run a tank of 91 Octane to clean out your fuel system and see how that helps with the pinging.

If it still pings call Superchips to work with you on the pinging issues or look at switching out your knock sensor.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

I'm not impressed with the milage tune either. with 3.73 gears, 35's, and performance tune I would get up to 18mpg on long trips. After installing 4.88 gears and re-flashing to the milage tune with 4.88 gearing I got 14-15.5 on my last trip. I am going to switch back to the performance tune and see if that changes.

Quick Reply: My Superchip milage.... FAIL!