Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My RTI Ramp Score - How to Improve It?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My RTI Ramp Score - How to Improve It?

With the help of a buddy I got my JK up on an RTI ramp today for the first time. And I wanted to share my results and initial impressions with you guys and maybe you can share some of your vast knowledge with me.

The Setup
  • All relevant JK specs should be in my Signature
  • We used a 30 deg. ramp but all my RTI scores will be calculated for a 20 deg ramp
  • Street pressure of 27 psi

The Numbers:
  • Front Left tire was 26.5" off the ground
  • Which is 77.5" up a 20 deg. ramp
  • RTI score on 20 deg ramp of 812

Notes during Flex:
  • front left side was hard up on the bumpstop with probably .75-1" left in the spring compression
  • front right side was not at full shock extension
  • rear left side was drooped completely with the stock Rubicon shock with TF shock adapter as the limiting strap

My Impression:
So obviously my numbers are not that impressive. They are actually worse than some stock numbers I have seen. Granted there is probably a + - 3% accuracy issue here, taking into account ground levelness and accuracy of all measurements. But given all that, I was hoping for better than stock performance from my 2.5" Teraflex coil lift w/ shock adapters.

Questions:
  • Was I wrong to expect better than stock flex out of this kit?
  • What is my upgrade path to make my Rubi more flexxy?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by planman
Longer shocks and less bumpstoping in the front.

I initially ran Rubi shocks with the extensions but found them to be too short.

So, I switched to Skyjacker Hydros designed for 2.5"-3.5" lifts. H7037 and H7035. With the current rebate, you can get a set for barely over $100 from summitracing.com

They made a big difference.

I also cut my flares flat and removed my front extended bumpstops and went back to stock.

Now I run OME LT shocks with 0.75" front extended bumpstops and the TF rear bumpstops that came with my TF BB. I am sure my RTI is well over 1000 now.
Running 32's on that lift, are the extended front bumpstops necessary? If they're removed, are extended brakelines/extension bracket required?
Old 05-07-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the extended bumpstop in the front and add a 1" body lift. Clears the fenders without losing the articulation...
Old 05-08-2010, 10:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default My RTI Ramp Score - How to Improve It?

So, I switched to Skyjacker Hydros designed for 2.5"-3.5" lifts. H7037 and H7035. With the current rebate, you can get a set for barely over $100 from summitracing.com

I also cut my flares flat and removed my front extended bumpstops and went back to stock.

Now I run OME LT shocks with 0.75" front extended bumpstops and the TF rear bumpstops that came with my TF BB. I am sure my RTI is well over 1000 now.
I was thinking about running the TF 9550 shocks and trimming my fenders. Could I then go back to the factory bumpstops or shorten them? Or are they still required to keep the springs or 9550s from bottoming out. Would this require brake lines?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

As far as brakelines go, if the 9550 shocks are the ones that come with the TF 2.5" lifts, then you shouldn't need more than the rear relocation brackets you already have.

As far as how much bumpstopping is needed for those shocks, you'd need to get out a tape measure to know for sure how much bumpstopping would be needed.
ok..I am running the TF 2.5 coil lift , 9550 shocks and all the bumpstops that came with the kit....so what am I measuring to know how much bumpstop to use? I like the lift for the height but for articulation it seems to lack some, I was told I should be lengthening my front brake lines but it didn't say anything about in the lift. Planman you have been alot of help to me in the past ( tires and rims) I would appreciate some input on this subject also...thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

As far as brakelines go, if the 9550 shocks are the ones that come with the TF 2.5" lifts, then you shouldn't need more than the rear relocation brackets you already have.

As far as how much bumpstopping is needed for those shocks, you'd need to get out a tape measure to know for sure how much bumpstopping would be needed.
The TF 9550 shocks are for 3-4" lifts or 6" lifts. The specs for the 3-4" lifts front shocks specs are 26.89 ext. 16.51 col. The specs for the rear 3-4" shocks are 28.09 ext. 17.25 col.

I also really appreciate all your help Planman!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now you made me curious on if my 'extended' rubi shocks are holding my articulation up.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

You would need longer brakelines, extended bumpstops, longer swaybar links, and rear coil retainers to effectively run those shocks. Also, you might need taller springs or coil spacers to have good dampening results at regular ride height.

No doubt about it. Your shocks are limiting your droop--along with swaybar links unless you are running longer ones.
Thanks Planman going out right now to measure some things up...is it possible to cut the bumpstop to the desired lenght then shove it back up in the extension???
Old 05-09-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Planman,

At rest I measured over 6" of exposed piston rod on my shocks (Bilstein) and only about 3" between the bump stops and perch. It's about the same for the fronts and rears. Is this limiting my articulation? Can I remove the bump stops (TF)?
Old 05-09-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

Not in the front. Instead, you would remove the TF front bumpstops, drill & tap a hole in the bottom spring perch, and bolt an extended stop to the bottom perch. You can use a hockey puck or buy custom sizes from JKS or other vendors.

I don't know about the rear, but you could custom make your own with rectangle steel tubing cut in a trapezoid shape.
ok front and back both have 5" of piston showing at rest, I have about 3.5" between bumpstops....I was thinking about just taking the 3" bottom bumpstop block ( came with teraflex kit) off of the back and then cutting down the front stock top bumpstop 1.5" and putting it back in the teraflex extension in the front??..will that work?

Quick Reply: My RTI Ramp Score - How to Improve It?