Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My Plans

Old 06-01-2008, 01:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Plans

Edited on June 22 2008

I'd like opinions on the setup I'm working towards. I plan on doing it in the oder listed. Let me know if you see any problems with compatibility or a particular component. I've got an 07' Wrangler X with the cheap 16" wheels, Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear (yeah shoulda facotory bumped up to 44's).

Done already
-Cobra 75 WX ST with 4' firestick

In the mail
-PureJeep stubby front winch bumper
-PureJeep rear tire carrier
-American Outlaw Mirrors

On the Bench
-T-Max 9000 comp winch

-CO2 tank kit

To Do
-Recovery gear (bunch of yanker/tree straps, bunch of shackles, a snatch block or two, shovel, hi-lift with mounts, line extensions)
-Hella driving lights (for dodging those highway deer)
-PureJeep Rocker guards
-Treks full skid setup
-Mac's Custom Tie-Downs Anchor
-NATO (Wedco) 20L Gas and Water cans with mounts and spouts
-Teraflex 4" Long Arm (with Teraflex S/T swaybar disco when avail)
-Rear gear my Diffs to 5.13
-bump tires up to 35x10's on Cragar Soft 8 (16x8) and powdercoat my stock caps black
-Staun beadlocks
-OX Lockers (with cables if possible)
-rear hitch reciever (later a trailer plug)

Also, if my tires get to the point of no-return somewhere in there I'll probably buy the rims and just chuck on some used 32's as they shouldn't be too far outside of my current gear range.

I think that's everything (I'll edit and add anything I forgot). Let me know what you think.

Last edited by sn4cktime; 06-22-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Update to list
Old 06-01-2008, 01:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good plans!
The IRS hi jacked my plans 2 years ago with an audit to the tune of 14k! Paid in full July 10th.

My new plan is a new Harley to offset gas prices and mpg, while slowly building my JK. No other bills, I'm single.

S.R.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:59 AM
JK Jedi

Sucks you got the D35, there are few and far between. I'm sure the JK D35 is stronger than that of the TJ, but I would be concerned running the 35's on it, at least if you plan to wheel it. Before you invest in gears and lockers, you might want to try to find a D44 rear.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

My concern with re-gearing is getting the work done coupled with the tire price. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but if I re-gear I'd like it done right, so I'm probably going to end up having to pay a mechanic.

Wouldn't the gearing be WAY too high without getting the bigger tires?
Old 06-01-2008, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe
but I think the stock carrier will carry a 35 for a while.
Apparently the stock carrier doesn't like the 35's too much. I met a guy at a gas station on vacation last summer who trashed his gate hinges too.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/35-spare-too-heavy-stock-carrier-damage-42450/
Old 06-01-2008, 04:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe
What size tires are you runnin' now? If you go to 4.88's w/o putting larger tires on then, yes, the gearing will be way too LOW until you put larger tires on.

Whether it's bearable depends on how long between lift and tires and how much you can stand not using 1st gear (which'd probably be about as useful as a granny gear).
Ahh, I thought it'd go the other way around. But yeah, kinda what I was getting at. The gearing would just be awful without matching the tires. And my tires aren't great by any means, but I'd rather burn all the tread off em before re-tiring. I suppose I could get 32's first, see how it drives, and if I can't handle it pony up the cash for re-gearing. Know any good mechanics for this, not sure how much I trust a "slap-n-dash" dealership to do this, but then would it be under warranty?

Current Tires: P225/75R16
Old 06-22-2008, 01:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Updated on June 22, any other opinions on what's currently there?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

You're going to notice a huge difference if you go to a 265/75/16 (32") from your stock 225's. It's exactly what I've done. The tires will make all of the difference in the world for you, and you won't have to re-gear at all.. just get the dealership to flash the computer to allow for the new tire size.

I wouldn't bother re-gearing until you plan on running the 35's.. I wouldn't even consider it. And, my guess is that you'll be more than happy with 32's if you're currently running a 29. I threw on a Rough Country 2.5" boost for a little more clearance and I'm happier than ever. My plan is to go 33x12.50 once these tires wear out.. no plans on ever going bigger than that. (for now)

I guess what I'm saying is go with 32's, do all of your other mods and if you're still unhappy with the performance, save to do the re-gear and tires. I doubt you'll mind it that much.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vexel
... I guess what I'm saying is go with 32's, do all of your other mods and if you're still unhappy with the performance, save to do the re-gear and tires. I doubt you'll mind it that much.
Thanks for the opinion man. I was considering doing this before. Maybe I'll re-think it. Guess maybe I'll get those Cragar's priced out in-city, and see if David at Northridge can match/beat it. I'll hafta get the tires priced out too...

Oh well, I guess this can be next month's mod. A little shy on the cash right now after dropping down on front/rear bumpers, mirrors, and a CO2 setup.

Quick Reply: My Plans