Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My planned upgrades.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My planned upgrades.

So I currently have a stock 2011 JK 6-spd 2 door and after researching the forums for a couple months (almost a year haha) and saving up some $$ I'm planning on doing the following upgrades (installing myself) come july:

1.) Rock Krawler 3.5" X Factor Mid Arm suspension system,
2.) Tom Woods 1310 rear drive shaft,
3.) Bilstein 5100 shocks,
4.) LoD Midwidth Front Bumper,
5.) LoD stubby rear bumper and tire carrier,
6.) Warn VR 10,000 Self Recovery Winch
7.) LoD Rock Sliders
8.) Goodyear Duratrac or Kevlar 35/34s.

Do you guys have any suggestions about the stuff I have planned (installation tips possibly) such as anything else that I might possibly need to do or is anyone running a similar set up that has any input? Thanks for your time.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

10,000 lb winch seems like overkill for a vehicle that weighs in at less than 4000 lbs.
If you think you'll be doing a moderate amount of winching, you might think about stepping up in quality rather than quantity.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will like the vr10,000 and you can't go wrong with it I like mine.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi,
I am going to buy a very similar setup myself soon, except I plan for the long arm kit. Question - why do you need to replace the driveshaft? Because it's a 2 door Jeep? I have a 4 door and after a phone call with Rock Krawler I was convinced that no drive shafts need to be replaced in my case; so just making sure.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

For a 2 door it's recommended to replace the rear drive shaft because the angle caused by the lift puts tension on the drive shaft and pinoin flange. From what I've heard, a the rear drive shaft on a 4 door doesn't necessarily need one for lifts up to 4''. Food for thought though, I've read in multiple places that this may be fine for on the road but if you go off roading and experience extreme flex and other factors you could possibly damage the drive shaft.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have duratracs in 35's and so far they are great. I think your really gonna like them!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by battleshot
For a 2 door it's recommended to replace the rear drive shaft because the angle caused by the lift puts tension on the drive shaft and pinoin flange. From what I've heard, a the rear drive shaft on a 4 door doesn't necessarily need one for lifts up to 4''. Food for thought though, I've read in multiple places that this may be fine for on the road but if you go off roading and experience extreme flex and other factors you could possibly damage the drive shaft.
sorry, forgot to mention - I actually have a 4 door Rubicon. So I know that I don't need the rear for now, but how about the front ?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by battleshot
So I currently have a stock 2011 JK 6-spd 2 door and after researching the forums for a couple months (almost a year haha) and saving up some $$ I'm planning on doing the following upgrades (installing myself) come july:

1.) Rock Krawler 3.5" X Factor Mid Arm suspension system,
2.) Tom Woods 1310 rear drive shaft,
3.) Bilstein 5100 shocks,
4.) LoD Midwidth Front Bumper,
5.) LoD stubby rear bumper and tire carrier,
6.) Warn VR 10,000 Self Recovery Winch
7.) LoD Rock Sliders
8.) Goodyear Duratrac or Kevlar 35/34s.

Do you guys have any suggestions about the stuff I have planned (installation tips possibly) such as anything else that I might possibly need to do or is anyone running a similar set up that has any input? Thanks for your time.

Front Axle Housing Mods because of the 35's

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=front+axle

Quick Reply: My planned upgrades.