Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My Plan.... Is it sound?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgrt
I just bought mine off. We used "extra" money mostly except for a few items like the winch and rock rails which were anniversary and Father's day gifts respectively. Now the "extra" money will be used for decorating our new home.
"Extra" money? What is that??? Do you want to send some of that my way?

I have a 4 year old, a 3 year old and a 2 month old. My wife stays at home and I live near Vail Colorado. (a small house here is about $500k) Needless to say, this "extra" money you speak of doesn't exist up here.

I'm hoping to get just the front leveling kit for my birthday & Christmas present combined!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, I almost forgot -

Anyone know if these components will all work together? I think they should... But I don't really know....
Old 10-01-2008, 09:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with the skids. A lift and bumpers only go so far to protect your vehicle. Oftentimes skids are overlooked because they don't look cool, or give much flash until you bash the oil pan, tear a hole in the gas can, rip off the evap, etc.... I know my build is starting with skids, then bumpers (need something to hold the heavier spare), then suspension and wheels.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I would start with the skids. A lift and bumpers only go so far to protect your vehicle. Oftentimes skids are overlooked because they don't look cool, or give much flash until you bash the oil pan, tear a hole in the gas can, rip off the evap, etc.... I know my build is starting with skids, then bumpers (need something to hold the heavier spare), then suspension and wheels.
Not a bad idea... If only all the skids I want didn't cost about a grand. But still, I do see your point. I know my stock gas tank skid plate has some pretty large dents in it!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I agree with Littlejon, that sounds logical, but I got all excited and within a few weeks went with a Currie "Off Road Suspension Kit" that includes most of your later stages. Then I got wheels and tires and upgraded axle shafts. I am about to order driveshafts, I am waiting on some custom bumpers, and I am looking at skids.

I saved for years before buying my new JK, and set about 8K aside for mods. I am almost tapped out.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by walker
I saved for years before buying my new JK, and set about 8K aside for mods. I am almost tapped out.
Wow... I wish I had 8k to spend! In fact, right now my wish list is just about that.

Part of the reason I want to do the long travel kits right now is because I already bought the shocks for it in April. I'm hoping to get the front kit for my birthday/Christmas present and then save up for the rear. If I didn't already have the shocks I might do the skids first.

(I got all 4 Rancho RS 9000XL shocks for $260 shipped!)
Old 10-01-2008, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, here is the updated stage list:

Stage 1 (More articulation):
Currie Long Travel Kit

Stage 2 (More protection):
Rock Hard Engine Skid Plate
Rock Hard Transfer Case Skid Plate
Rock Hard Fuel Take Skid Plate
Differential Slider?
Control Arm Skids?

Stage 3 (Recovery):
Shrockworks Front Stubby Bumper
Ramsey Patriot 9500

*Stage 4 (Preparation for lift):
Full Traction Heavy Duty Adjustable Front Track Bar
Full Traction Heavy Duty Adjustable Rear Track Bar

*Stage 5 (Lift, 2.5" front, 2.0" back):
OME Front Coils (619, HD because of the bumper/winch)
OME Rear Coils (617, Medium)

*Stage 6 (Preparation for 35s):
Full Traction Ultimate Front Lower Control Arms
Full Traction Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms
(maybe uppers too if I'm feeling rich)

Stage 7 (More rubber!):
35's w/ new wheels
Spacer to mount 35 on stock tire carrier

Stage 8 (Complete the package):
Shrockworks Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier

* Note - Stages 4,5 and 6 could be done as one stage if I have the $$ or if I want to wait. Still, I may purchase everything in that order and just wait to install it all at once.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

I would switch out the FT control arms for Currie control arms. Curries arms have johnny joints at both ends and there is no deterioration in the ride, but bett flexing abilities, and I know for sure Curries arms have zirk's on all ends, FT did not used to do this, maybe they do now not sure.

Also I can just about guarantee that Currie's customer service is going to be better then FT if you run into any issues. Also many people have had problems with FT stuff squeaking over the long haul.

Just some things to consider.....
Old 10-01-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ctimrun
I would switch out the FT control arms for Currie control arms. Curries arms have johnny joints at both ends and there is no deterioration in the ride, but bett flexing abilities, and I know for sure Curries arms have zirk's on all ends, FT did not used to do this, maybe they do now not sure.

Also I can just about guarantee that Currie's customer service is going to be better then FT if you run into any issues. Also many people have had problems with FT stuff squeaking over the long haul.

Just some things to consider.....
I had considered that, but I was under the impression that Currie's wouldn't work with only 2-3" of lift. Aren't they made for like 4"??? Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 10-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ammonm
"Extra" money? What is that??? Do you want to send some of that my way?

I have a 4 year old, a 3 year old and a 2 month old. My wife stays at home and I live near Vail Colorado. (a small house here is about $500k) Needless to say, this "extra" money you speak of doesn't exist up here. ...
I know what you mean. I lived in Colorado for a few years. The ridiculously inflated housing prices were one of the reasons I moved from there.

The extra money is things like our tax refund and the stimulus rebate. Truth be told I'd still be waiting if it weren't for a windfall on property tax, because we have a new house that wasn' t on the land as of January 2007, so we got allot back that we had paid in through our mortgage escrow.

Quick Reply: My Plan.... Is it sound?