Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My Plan.... Is it sound?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Plan.... Is it sound?

Okay, there is the deal. I eventually want to get 35" tires on my JK, nice bumpers/winch and try to keep the vehicle low enough so my wife can still get in. However, my current price list totals about $8k, which I don't have. So, here is what I plan to do in stages:

Stage 1:
Currie Long Travel Kit (front & rear) With Rancho Shocks

Stage 2:
Shrockworks Front Stubby Bumper
Ramsey Patriot 9500

Stage 3:
Shrockworks Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier

Stage 4:
Full Traction Heavy Duty Adjustable Front Track Bar
Full Traction Heavy Duty Adjustable Rear Track Bar

Stage 5:
OME Front Coils (619, HD because of the bumper/winch)
OME Rear Coils (617, Medium)

Stage 6:
Full Traction Ultimate Front Lower Control Arms
Full Traction Ultimate Rear Lower Control Arms
(maybe uppers too if I'm feeling rich)

Stage 7:
35's w/ new wheels

Stage 8:
Lots of skid plates!

So, thats it. My plan to get my JK where I want it to be. I figure with everything I'll be installing I should end up with about 2.5" lift up front, 2" in the back and really good articulation. I will also be able to adjust the tires to get them centered in the wheel wells.

Any flaws in my plans? Anything I am missing?

PS. I don't want too big of a lift because I have the lifetime powertrain warranty and I want to try to keep it. I know they can say the lift did it, but it will be harder to prove that a small lift did it vs a big one.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would probably knock out the suspension in order. You kinda threw the bumpers in there between suspension parts. Either get the bumpers first or wait until you've got your suspension completed.

If it were me, I'd do all lift additions first, then tires, then bumpers. Just my .
Old 10-01-2008, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anhedrew
I would probably knock out the suspension in order. You kinda threw the bumpers in there between suspension parts. Either get the bumpers first or wait until you've got your suspension completed.

If it were me, I'd do all lift additions first, then tires, then bumpers. Just my .
Yeah, I thought about that, but I didn't want to put the HD springs up front w/o the bumper and winch. On a stock JK, I've heard those springs would put my front end up about 3.5"....
Old 10-01-2008, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Looks good

I think your parts are well thought out i would just tweak the order too. 1 suspension, 2 tires wheels, 3 bumpers, 4 skid plates J.E.E.P.
Just Empty Every Pocket
Old 10-01-2008, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

ya im hoping to start with the suspension and then work my way up. nice planning!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:56 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have too many stages. You can always save for the stages. Here is what I did (I just saved for each one as I went):

Stage 1:
  • Shrockworks mid-width bumper
  • Warn PowerPlant winch
  • Shrockworks rock rails
  • Coil spacers to correct front-end droop
Stage 2:
  • Clayton 3.5" suspension lift
  • 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers
  • Cragar Soft 8 wheels
  • 5.13 gears
  • JE Reel 1350 drive shafts
  • Extension bracket for spare tire
Stage 3 (started):
  • Shrockworks rear bumper and tire carrier
  • Chromoly front axle shafts
  • Skid plates
I have added some things here and there, but this sums up the original plan.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I could probably hold off on the rear bumper until the suspension/tires are finished. But the front bumper and winch are needed for those coils.....

Also, I was thinking about the rear bumper so that I could have a place to mount my spare 35 when I get them! w/o that bumper I would have to buy something else to get the spare 35 on the back that would then be thrown away later....
Old 10-01-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tgrt
I think you have too many stages. You can always save for the stages.
(nice list by the way) Yes I *COULD* save between stages, but that means waiting longer in between doing something! By piecing everything together a little at a time my wife won't have such a fit!

Gotta keep the wife happy!!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:01 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ammonm
Also, I was thinking about the rear bumper so that I could have a place to mount my spare 35 when I get them! w/o that bumper I would have to buy something else to get the spare 35 on the back that would then be thrown away later....
I got the Teraflex extension bracket. It costs about $30. I did it that way mainly, because I knew it would take Shrockworks a millenia or two to complete their rear tire carrier (there just isn't anything out there I like as much). I'll be selling it when I get the carrier. Probably for half price, so all in all it'll cost me $15.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:03 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ammonm
(nice list by the way) Yes I *COULD* save between stages, but that means waiting longer in between doing something! By piecing everything together a little at a time my wife won't have such a fit!

Gotta keep the wife happy!!!!
I just bought mine off. We used "extra" money mostly except for a few items like the winch and rock rails which were anniversary and Father's day gifts respectively. Now the "extra" money will be used for decorating our new home.

Quick Reply: My Plan.... Is it sound?