Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My performance gains from superchips and 5.38's

Old 11-22-2010, 06:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbloyer81
No, what I said was "Most of those tuners change shift points and make automatic drivers feel better about how their cars run." They change the shift points to make it feel peppy.
I understand that, but I also know that the engine is running better as well....
Old 11-23-2010, 06:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by cbloyer81
I was wrong. Thanks.
I think in part you were looking at things from a different angle. Not so much wrong as not looking at the whole picture. It's all good and I could tell from your comments you have some knowledge I wish I possessed. Never ran boost on anything and that seemed to be something you have some experience with.

Also, fuels can get weird in a hurry as there are quick burn high octane race fuels that don't follow suit with timing advance. I jerked around with a bunch of them trying to get my Malibu to run right an timing was all over the place to try and find a sweet spot. Pump gas is a different story, and thererealy isn't anything special going on besides higher octane meaning slower burn.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPop
Hey Dave, please come back to your room, I'll give you a cookie and turn on the Price is Right for you.
Cookie!!! I want a cookie too!
ill watch the price is right if i have to. drew carey is pretty funny.

higher octane in and of itself doesnt make more power, it allows more timing which is where more power is found throughout the rpm band.

low octane requires the engine management system to retard the timing to resolve the detonation that occurs under load.

the higher the octane, the less the engine has to retard the timing thereby allowing the engine to better utilize the full potential of the fuel.

higher octane allows the engine to be more effiencient burning the fuel available. the end result is more power per drop of fuel.

the question remains tho, is the cost of the higher octane worth the minimal gains of the power increase. its ur money.

COOKIE PLEASE>>NOWWWW.....lol
Old 01-28-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up My .02

I got one item... VVT. Variable Valve Timing... If the 3.8L was designed with this feature in mind you could run 10.0-1 Compression and still be able to "statically" relieve the compression in the cylinder under certain situations with VVT... The Pentastar has this feature I'm sure... Man I wish my old 69 GTO I had came with VVT..lol Well not really. But with todays engines this additon has allowed HP to come back in small and big packages like we've never seen and run pump gas.

I can speak from my experience, when you don't "think" you have enough HP/Trqe it can become an addiction... so watch out $$$..lol

Let's face it an ez 5,000 lbs in a brick, with an "older" designed V6 is a tuff chore...
By multiplying the "torque" with lower (higher numerically) gearing is the "best" way to get this combination moving and keeping it moving on the freeway as well.

Otherwise, keep the gears "if" tolerable (4.1).. lol and when the times right engine "swap" or maybe test drive the pentastar when it comes out...

If you have superhips, SC, or any other add-on and you are happy with it?
Then that's great.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

"Regear ($1000-$1300) + Superchips ($339) = $1339-$1639 to address the problem with 5.13s or 5.38s."
With a procal there shouldn't be a problem $140, but if you want more tuneability I see your point, you might as well spend another $200.00

"Supercharger = $4000-$5000 (Plus regear to 4.88s or 5.13s)"
I don't care what you do, you are still dropping 800 rpm to go to OD. My point, gearing is the best thing you can do to combat this issue and the most effective, cost wise too.
But with the SC, you are getting something out of the 3.8L you'd never get otherwise.

"Hemi = $13,000-$20,000 (Plus regear to 4.88s or 5.13s)"
If you were in a Rubicon running 35's... Most people would regear.
I wouldn't see the need, on a "steep" hill run 1:1 @ 2200-2600 rpm
Otherwise on the flats you could get close to 20mpg... At a reasonable speed.
4:1 transfer case.. My cake... Otherwise I would regear...

"The Pentastar engine has more power, but at what rpm levels?"
From what we hear it's coming with the five speed auto... closer gear ratio's.. Therefore, It's staying in the power band much better and will drive much better on the hills...
Let's face it the 3.8L is turning 4500 RPM on some steep mountains already..

"Aren't the guys with the pathetic gearing in the JK automatic 42RLE going to have to regear to 5.13s and 5.38s anyway?"
I think I said that below.
Let's face it an ez 5,000 lbs in a brick, with an "older" designed V6 is a tuff chore...
By multiplying the "torque" with lower (higher numerically) gearing is the "best" way to get this combination moving and keeping it moving on the freeway as well.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Whewww........ I need a

Quick Reply: My performance gains from superchips and 5.38's