Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My performance gains from superchips and 5.38's

Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My performance gains from superchips and 5.38's

Thought i would post something a bit more positive about my latest upgrades. For those of you who havent read my latest thread i am trying to get a driveline vibration pin pointed after i had my 5.38's installed.

4 door rubi, 35 mud grapplers, auto, 3.5 lift

Anyways
stock 0-60 time was 13.3 average
superchips on 93 tune plus k&n filter average 12.3
added the 5.38's and im down to a 10.8!
Thats almost a 20 % percent decrease in 0-60 time. Pretty good for $1575.00

Oh and before everyone starts on how jeeps are not supposed to be fast i know. i dont race my jeep around! I do think that 0-60 times are a good way for most people to evaluate improvements in power.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
I'm curious if you would try it with the towing tune and report the results.
My JK is slightly different than ARM2004's. I have 5:13 gears, Automatic, MBRP Exhaust and a drop in K&N. I don't have 0-60 times, but I did a similar test using the 0-70 Data Acquisition capture in Superchips.

What I found interesting was my 0-70 time was a 10th of a second faster using the Tow Tune than the Performance Tune. On the Tow Tune I had 15.43 seconds. On the Performance Tune I had 15.53 seconds. The tests were performed with 93 octane gas within a few minutes of each other. The Tow Tune also seems to run better in my rig. I have tried them all and always fall back to the Tow Tune.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi

So are you guys consistently using 90+ octane with the tow tune?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But if you advance your timing, let’s say with a superchip unit and you may hear pinging. That is detonation and you can remedy it by using a higher octane fuel.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:28 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ARM2004
stock 0-60 time was 13.3 average
superchips on 93 tune plus k&n filter average 12.3
added the 5.38's and im down to a 10.8!
Thats almost a 20 % percent decrease in 0-60 time. Pretty good for $1575.00
I agree those are definitely some sizable gains. Looking at the numbers the curb weight of your rig must be at or close to 5,000lbs. The gears will make a huge difference with that much weight and the gains wouldn't be so steep in a lighter vehicle.

Also can you elaborate on your tests a bit? Did you brake-torque to get up on the converter at launch or was it just from idle?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by cbloyer81
Timing isn't going to change how much the air/fuel is compressed which in turn changes how hot the mixture get which would lead to more heat which would lead to detonation. I think this 93 octane tune is a sales gimmick.
Really? You don't think igniting the mixture earlier (even MORE before Top Dead Center) increases cylinder pressure?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
I don't really want to run ethanol through my engine.
Purely curious. Why not?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Guys running the tow tune, does your MPG drop vs the 91 performance tune? Mainly in mixed driving conditions. I would expect a drop for freeway driving using the tow tune.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkerr
My JK is slightly different than ARM2004's. I have 5:13 gears, Automatic, MBRP Exhaust and a drop in K&N. I don't have 0-60 times, but I did a similar test using the 0-70 Data Acquisition capture in Superchips.

What I found interesting was my 0-70 time was a 10th of a second faster using the Tow Tune than the Performance Tune. On the Tow Tune I had 15.43 seconds. On the Performance Tune I had 15.53 seconds. The tests were performed with 93 octane gas within a few minutes of each other. The Tow Tune also seems to run better in my rig. I have tried them all and always fall back to the Tow Tune.
When we gonna run them JKERR? LOL. Let me know when you get that RIPP kit, i would love to check it out and take a ride in it. i am in woodridge. Be curious to see what your zero to 60 times are now and when you get ripped!
My posted times are 5 run averages. There was a 10th of a second difference or more in alot of my runs. So unless your gains from tow tune to 93 tune are based on averages i wouldnt consider them very acurate.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by cbloyer81
It's going to increase cylinder temp by a little bit *maybe*. Do you really think Jeep retarded the timing enough to improve power so much that cylinder pressures are high enough to warrant 93 octane? Come on. That's ridiculous. I don't think there would EVER be any pre detonation on stock compression with a naturally aspirated engine, none the less 93 octane. You can run 12 PSI on that kind of octane...even non-inter-cooled IIRC. It's ridiculous that a degree or two of timing would require the highest octane pump gas available. IF they are even getting 1 degree out of it.
I think Chrysler built an engine that would use the cheapest gas available at the pump. That's what people want, and that's what they got. I also know the stock compression ratio is capable of handling far greater than 87 octane with some timing advance. Comparing things to a forced induction engine isn't relevant and one motor to another isn't going to have the same needs for octane as another, despite sharing the same compression ratio.

Quick Reply: My performance gains from superchips and 5.38's