Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My new 5.38's?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your rig will perform better after you reprogram it for the gear change. The speedo is electronic and gets its feed from the trans so until you tell it what gears and tire size nothing will work like it should. Do the programming and you will love your jeep.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info guys. Yeah I will get chip to communicate with computer on gears to make the Jeep happy. Till then maybe I will try one of those phone apps or Gps to check speed reading.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ed Grizzo
So I just went from stock rubi gears to 5.38's. Did the job myself. Everything seems good. Have 100 miles since job. Do I need to reprogram gear ratio. It seems like the speedo is correct. I did not change tires yet.
If the speedo is correct does it need reprogramed to shift differently or should that be correct also? Its a 2008 auto

It all depends on how much bigger tires you are running. For instance, if you went up to a 35" tire, which is 12.9% increase in size from a 31" tire, and you had 4:10 gears stock you would need to have 4.60 gears. So depending what size tire you have, you might be ok.

Quick Reply: My new 5.38's?