Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My little 30 build...

Old 04-11-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My little 30 build...

After bending my front axle, I started looking for something else to replace it. I wanted to do 60's, but it was just too far out of my budget. I happened to run across a 30/44 combo that had been upgraded with ARB's and 4.88's. (The owner went up to 60's... lucky guy!)

Anyway, after bending my first axle I decided this one had to be reinforced before I even thought about installing it. While planning my build, I got lucky again and Offroad Evolution released their Magnum sleeves. And... while I had some welding going on, I decided to get the gussets and lower control arm skids at the same time, along with the curry trackbar bracket and rock krawler truss. (Actually, I ordered the truss first, but when the sleeves came out I had to add them too)

When it came time to get it welded, I again got lucky and a buddy of mine was willing to do it for me. He did an absolutely wonderful job...

Before paint, right after welding

RK Truss and Curry bracket

EVO gussets and LCA skids

Magnum sleeves

Whattaya guys think?
Old 04-11-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Super Freak

THAT IS BAD ASS im jealous. you just going to paint it black?
Old 04-11-2009, 08:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work, Ross. That is badass....
Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Offroadme
THAT IS BAD ASS im jealous. you just going to paint it black?
Thanks,

Yup... it got a shot of black hammer paint right after this photo was taken. I'm hoping to be able to swap out both axles in the next week or so. Then I'll be done for a whilie.... or at least, that is what I have told my wife.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Man just what I need to see. Something else on the list when I'm so far down the tubes. I just ordered the sleeves and c gusset's. I need the truss and I'm looking for bolt on skids. But that has to wait until I finish the current project being work on 1 hour at a time that I'm not going to finish before I leave to visit my parents.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
JK Newbie

Looks pretty good ... my list continues to grow.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:08 AM
JK Jedi

Wow, good score. Should be a stout little axle.

Trending Topics

Old 04-14-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice! What size tire are you going to run? Please keep updated as you start to run on it, I have thought about this option and would like to see how it holds up for you!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Well... it took me 14 hours, but I swapped out both axles this week and am now running the built front 30 and a different 44 in the rear. I wanted to put a few miles on them with street tires so that I can listen for any abnormal sounds, but everything is good so far. (a slight driveline vibration over 75, but I'm going to be putting on rear driveshaft shortly anyway...)

Installation notes:

AlloyUSA shafts are thicker at the head, so you have to push really hard to get it to penetrate the outer seals. Once past the head of the shaft, they slid in easily.

Make sure you have a end for a needle greaser on your grease gun. You will need that to grease the outer seals and I wouldn't try to drive it without thoroughly greasing, and I'm guessing that I will want to grease them every time I change oil (at a minimum)

Harbor freight pittman pullers are made from cheep Chinese metal. I broke the thing the first time I tried to use it to get the pittman off of the JK. The one at Oreilly's was only $3 more expensive and worked wonderfully.

After 200 miles, 4.88's with stock size tires gets the same MPG as what the stock 3.73's, but I no longer have to disable the OD to go uphill! I'm looking forward to running with the bigger tires to see how they are then...

The weather has been crappy, so I haven't been able to get a good post-installation picture, but it should be nicer and I'll try to grab one tomorrow.

Last edited by MOWrangler; 04-19-2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: added notes
Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up!! I'm looking forward to completing this same task, so what was your overall cost for everything minus labor you did on your own?

Quick Reply: My little 30 build...