Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My jeep is not fun anymore

Old 01-21-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a 4in lift about 2 months ago upgrading from my 2in lift I had. Now I find myself almost dreading driving my jeep because it drivers so bad. It's very floaty feeling going down the road and the drive shafts are clicking. I have a little shimmer in my steering wheel at 50 mph but it goes away about 60mph. It's just thing after thing. I am about to buy new front and rear coast drive shafts with lower front adj control arms and upper rear adj control arms. My question is after I get the caster set and new drive shafts on will some of ny problems be gone and make me wanna drive my jeep down the road again?

Last edited by medic_23387; 01-21-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't put it together right. A four in lift should be smooth and ride nice. The drive shafts shouldn't go so fast. Re check it
Old 01-21-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Depends on whether anything else is off/loose/worn out/out of spec/etc. The front arms will take care of the caster to get rid of some of the flightyness. (balancing act between caster and pinion angles for the new driveshaft). The rear arms will set the angle for the new driveshaft.

But it won't fix a sloppy install or worn joints or ...

See how it drives after you install them and go from there.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

It should improve most of your symptoms, yes. One of the main things to do to fix your steering is relocate your track bar bracket in tue front and adjust your steering geometry so everything is more parallel with the front axle.
The clicking from your driveshafts is probably the u-joints going bad.
The shimmy could be a lot if stuff but I would start with your ball joints.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

The install is good I have installed a lot of lifts. I can do it with my eyes closed. The drive shafts are going out because if the height of the new lift make the angle to steep on the stock joints
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
JK Super Freak

If your feeling wobble at a specific speed your tires most likely needed to be balanced. Id start there. Cant speak for the clicking.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by medic_23387
I installed a 4in lift about 2 months ago upgrading from my 2in lift I had. Now I find myself almost dreading driving my jeep because it drivers so bad. It's very floaty feeling going down the road and the drive shafts are clicking. I have a little shimmer in my steering wheel at 50 mph but it goes away about 60mph. It's just thing after thing. I am about to buy new front and rear coast drive shafts with lower front adj control arms and upper rear adj control arms. My question is after I get the caster set and new drive shafts on will some of ny problems be gone and make me wanna drive my jeep down the road again?
your floaty feeling is definitely being caused by lack of caster. also, at 4" of lift or more and without new adjustable control arms, your wheelbase will literally be shorter. of course, at this height, your suspension geometry will also be off enough that you will feel the effects of it. for most people, installing new adjustable control arms and doing waht you can to reposition your axles will be enough to mitigate some of these effects but, nothing short of long arms will make it feel like stock again. regarding your shimmy, that sounds like a wheel balance problem and the clicking you're hearing could be your cv joints starting to go bad.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
your floaty feeling is definitely being caused by lack of caster. also, at 4" of lift or more and without new adjustable control arms, your wheelbase will literally be shorter. of course, at this height, your suspension geometry will also be off enough that you will feel the effects of it. for most people, installing new adjustable control arms and doing waht you can to reposition your axles will be enough to mitigate some of these effects but, nothing short of long arms will make it feel like stock again. regarding your shimmy, that sounds like a wheel balance problem and the clicking you're hearing could be your cv joints starting to go bad.
Thanks for your post just what I was looking for. I knew the drive shaft were gone so im getting coast front and back. I am also ordering the adj control arms. I cant afford long arms right now but hopefully getting the caster right, new drive shafts and alignment will make a diff.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

What should my caster be set at with a 4in lift????
Old 01-21-2012, 12:56 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by medic_23387
What should my caster be set at with a 4in lift????
at bare minimum, you'll want to bring it somewhere close to stock which is +4.2°. more would be awesome to have but, you run the risk of getting driveline vibrations especially if you're running 5.13 gears or higher.

Quick Reply: My jeep is not fun anymore