Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My impression of the EVO plush ride springs and Bilstein 5100's

Old 05-12-2016, 05:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jedg
It's mostly subjective. I like my OME LT / RK 3.5 progressive combination (on a 5500 lb JKUR). That said, a buddy of mine thinks my ride is too soft. His is much more firm (don't remember the combination he's running). I think his is too firm, he thinks it's just right. This topic is very much an 'eye of the beholder' or 'comfort of the driver' if-you-will type of thing.
That sounded preeeetty gay...... just sayin haha
Old 05-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte417
That sounded preeeetty gay...... just sayin haha
hahahaha...
Old 05-12-2016, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
It's mostly subjective. I like my OME LT / RK 3.5 progressive combination (on a 5500 lb JKUR). That said, a buddy of mine thinks my ride is too soft. His is much more firm (don't remember the combination he's running). I think his is too firm, he thinks it's just right.

This topic is very much an 'eye of the beholder' or 'comfort of the driver' if-you-will type of thing.
You are definitely correct that it is subjective. With all things subjective in nature what needs to be done when describing it, is that a baseline needs to be established within the description, where that baseline is generally known by others. The baseline that should be used is typically "stock" ride quality since most have rode in a stock JK at one time or another. So when someone describes the ride quality, they really need to say things like "It's firmer/stiffer than stock, which is what I prefer" or "It rides softer than stock, which is what I prefer." When someone says, "I prefer the ride of OEM's over Blistein's" then there isn't a wide spread known baseline that has been established that others can relate to, because most haven't experienced riding in a JK that has had OME and/or Blistein shocks.

While stock is a good baseline to use when describing the ride, even this baseline is blurred because not all stock JK's are the same. A stock 2 door rubicon will ride differently than a stock 4dr Sahara. The stock 4dr Sahara will likely have a smoother/softer ride than a 2 door stock Rubicon. So even there when describing, you really need to further describe your personally established baseline and say things, "It has a firmer ride than a stock 4dr Sahara which is what I prefer."

I've done a lot of market research on car audio systems in regards to sound quality which is another very subjective matter. The 1st thing we do when collecting subjective data such is the case with audio quality, is that we try to establish the person's baseline reference point. When someone says, "I think the sound quality of this system is awesome, it's the best audio system I've ever heard." that data is meaningless without knowing that person's personally established base-line reference point. Their base-line may be that they wake up in the morning and listen to a 1970's one speaker AM radio alarm clock blaring in their ear and that 4 speaker base-grade car audio system really is the best audio system they ever heard. Where someone evaluating that same exact system who is more of an audiophile and has listened to high-end home theater systems will say, "That is the worst system I have ever listened to and it hurts my ears trying to listen to it." They're exact opposite subjective matter opinions evaluating the exact same system, what is difference is their personal baseline reference points and once you establish those, then you have something that is more meaningful.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-12-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

You guys are going to think im nuts for saying this but the best riding suspension ive driven was my buddy's 2dr with rough country 3.5" springs and bilstein shocks. My first suspension was rough country springs with rough country shocks and the ride was bone jaring. Then I swapped in TF 2.5" springs and TF shocks which was better but not exactly "plush". I now run those same 6 year old TF springs with rancho 9000s and is just a bit better probably because of the adjustability. My buddys suspension with the RC/Bilstein combo is night and day softer than my current setup. I never would have expected that
Old 05-12-2016, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

You guys are going to think im nuts for saying this but the best riding suspension ive driven was my buddy's 2dr with rough country 3.5" springs and bilstein shocks.
I don't think you're nuts at all. I totally believe you are justifiably correct in what you stated. I just look at what you posted and disregard it as not having very much usefulness for the reasons I just described before you posted. You have not really established your baseline reference point before telling everyone that your buddy's RC springs with Bilstein shocks was the best riding you've ever experienced.

Was this your baseline reference prior to riding in your buddies?
"My first suspension was rough country springs with rough country shocks and the ride was bone jaring." If it was then....yeah, it makes logical sense, your baseline reference point was a bone jaring experience and your buddies ride with the RC spings and improved Bilstein shocks likely felt like a huge difference and made a very lasting impression on you at the time you evaluated it.

You just demonstrated exactly what I had just previously described. Every time you evaluate something, you are really trying to do an A/B comparison in your mind at a particular time. You described what your experience with "B" was but you didn't describe what you were using as your personal "A" baseline reference point that you were pulling from your memory when you did that evaluation of your buddies vehicle.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-12-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I don't think you're nuts at all. I totally believe you are justifiably correct in what you stated. I just look at what you posted and disregard it as not having very much usefulness for the reasons I just described before you posted. You have not really established your baseline reference point before telling everyone that your buddy's RC springs with Bilstein shocks was the best riding you've ever experienced.

Was this your baseline reference?
"My first suspension was rough country springs with rough country shocks and the ride was bone jaring." If it was then....yeah, it makes logical sense, your baseline reference point was a bone jaring experience and your buddies ride with the RC spings and improved Bilstein shocks likely felt like a huge difference when you evaluated it.
Baseline reference? Yeah......sure you can call it that Pretty sure the average dumbass like myself can decipher what I was trying to say Keep in mind I have very little recolection of what a stock suspension feels like as its been a long time since ive driven a stock jeep
Old 05-12-2016, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knowing the RC coils sag tells me they are really soft, shitty coils or both lol
Old 05-12-2016, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

I'm really uncertain why you seem to be taking offense. What I described is pretty much how the human mind works when evaluating subjective matters, no matter how smart/dumb anyone is. EVERYONE's mind does an A/B comparison if we realize it or not when evaluting subjective matters. I'm sorry, you're not making an effort to try and understand what I'm getting at and decided to take offense to it instead.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I'm really uncertain why you seem to be taking offense. What I described is pretty much how the human mind works when evaluating subjective matters, no matter how smart/dumb anyone is. EVERYONE's mind does an A/B comparison if we realize it or not when evaluting subjective matters. I'm sorry, you're not making an effort to try and understand what I'm getting at and decided to take offense to it instead.
No offense taken. You seem like a "psych" type of guy so you understand that people have different mannerisms yes? Take it with a grain of salt
Old 05-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

No offense taken. You seem like a "psych" type of guy so you understand that people have different mannerisms yes? Take it with a grain of salt
I've just had education and experience in these types of areas. It's really basic Market research 101 stuff.

I was attempting to share that education/experience and gave some examples to assist in the understanding. You can take it or leave it. I know I'm not going to be able to teach a class on the subject in a forum discussion. The point really is that everyone should have a level of awareness to these types of subjective evaluations when reading through these posts. Like I previously described one person can evaluate the exact same setup/system and say it was the greatest setup they ever experienced. Another person can evaluate the exact same setup and say it's the worst setup/system they have ever experienced. Which then tends to lead to debated discussions/arguments between the two people. Who is wrong and who is right? They're actually both right, but then why are their viewpoints so drastically different when evaluating the same exact setup? According to you, it must be because the person is nuts or dumb. Where really, the difference is with each person's personal experience and previously established reference points at the time they did the evaluation. They've both done an A/B comparisons when evaluating the exact same setup and both are describing their experience with setup "B". However, without knowing what their personal experience reference point is that they are pulling from their memory of "A" an A/B evaluation is meaningless when the person is only describing "B" in their evaluation.

I asked you previously, was your reference point at that time you did the evaluation based on your own personal experience with the RC springs/RC shocks combo which you described as "Jarring"? You ignored that question, where I was just seeking to better understand your baseline reference "A" of when you did the A/B comparison.

Quick Reply: My impression of the EVO plush ride springs and Bilstein 5100's