Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My impression of the EVO plush ride springs and Bilstein 5100's

Old 05-10-2016, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost1972
Kinda resurrecting this thread. I have the Evo Plush coils with 5100's. The ride is great on the highway, but I still feel the washboard bumps or brick roads are kinda harsh. It seems pretty intuitive, but I'm wondering if my issue is more with the light weight of my 4dr. I run it with a Trektop NX; no spare; no skids or heavy armor; no steel flares; light frame-rail caps vs heavy steel rear bumper; and a light front bumper with a winch. Do you feel the lack of weight is contributing to the harshness on some bumps, vs weight that would aid in compressing the shocks and springs?
everyone I know running that setup thinks they ride soft as can be. I'd be willing to bet you are running way to much air pressure.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda resurrecting this thread. I have the Evo Plush coils with 5100's. The ride is great on the highway, but I still feel the washboard bumps or brick roads are kinda harsh. It seems pretty intuitive, but I'm wondering if my issue is more with the light weight of my 4dr. I run it with a Trektop NX; no spare; no skids or heavy armor; no steel flares; light frame-rail caps vs heavy steel rear bumper; and a light front bumper with a winch. Do you feel the lack of weight is contributing to the harshness on some bumps, vs weight that would aid in compressing the shocks and springs?
i did not like them for the same reasons running Softer Rancho 5000x shocks.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Did you not read the OP stated Eddie recommended this combo!?!? Obviously you don't know what you're doing or smoking crack if you don't think the ride is great!!!!
Old 05-10-2016, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Was running Metalcloak springs and Old man emu shocks. Ride on the road was not comfortable. Felt every road imperfection. Off-road, sand, high speed, etc was pretty damn nice though.

I switched to EVO plush springs and Rancho 9000's for a huge difference. Rides like a Cadillac and love it now. After trying different settings I have the shocks set at 6 up front and 5 in the rear. I get a little more body roll than before but the ride quality far outweighs that. Off-road thus setup is great as well.

This is my fifth lifted Wrangler and best riding.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TxJeepers
Was running Metalcloak springs and Old man emu shocks. Ride on the road was not comfortable. Felt every road imperfection. Off-road, sand, high speed, etc was pretty damn nice though. I switched to EVO plush springs and Rancho 9000's for a huge difference. Rides like a Cadillac and love it now. After trying different settings I have the shocks set at 6 up front and 5 in the rear. I get a little more body roll than before but the ride quality far outweighs that. Off-road thus setup is great as well. This is my fifth lifted Wrangler and best riding.
I run EVO with rancho 9000 and to me there is no better ride for a DD. PERIOD.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

off topic sorry
Is that your Jeep??? Is freaking sick!!!
Old 05-11-2016, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mds22
I run EVO with rancho 9000 and to me there is no better ride for a DD. PERIOD.
I too and I agree . Changed from AEV and AEV/Bilstein 5100's
Old 05-12-2016, 01:09 AM
JK Super Freak

I had OME coils and shocks. Nice smooth ride. Went to 5100's and rough! Feel every crack, bump, etc. lowered tire pressure to help! It is a Jeep, so do not expect Caddy ride.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Are your 5100's tuned to the coils, or just off the shelf?

I am running different coils, but I thought the 5100's were a very stiff shock. My ride improved quite a bit after changing to the OME's that MC recommended for their coils.

Without knowing the coil and shock rates, might be hard to say whether adding weight would help.
They are stiff no matter what. Guys who are saying they "ride great" are either self justifying wasting their money or delusional and have never ridden in a Jeep with soft shocks like OME's.

I have 4"Evo plush rides and off the shelf Skyjacker M95's and it's much more comfortable than a friend's ride with crapsteins. Too many fan boys for these shocks.

I have OME shocks on order so my ride will only improve compared to the interim skycrappers I have now.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

It's mostly subjective. I like my OME LT / RK 3.5 progressive combination (on a 5500 lb JKUR). That said, a buddy of mine thinks my ride is too soft. His is much more firm (don't remember the combination he's running). I think his is too firm, he thinks it's just right.

This topic is very much an 'eye of the beholder' or 'comfort of the driver' if-you-will type of thing.

Quick Reply: My impression of the EVO plush ride springs and Bilstein 5100's