Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My impression of the EVO plush ride springs and Bilstein 5100's

Old 12-30-2012, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My impression of the EVO plush ride springs and Bilstein 5100's

When I as researching the ride quality of the EVO plush ride springs with different shocks, I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for. I would have loved to get the Kings that are valved to these shocks, but I just couldn't afford it.
While I can't speak for other shocks on the market, I can give you my opinion of these Springs with Skyjacker Nitro shocks that were on the jeep, and also the Bistein 5100's I just put on.
Even with the EVO springs, the ride was harsh with the Skyjackers. Normal bumps in the road were difinately felt, but tolerable. When I would encounter that occasional hump in the road caused from freezing here in Northern Illinois. It is almost bone jarring. You would swear the hump was about a foot tall.
After studying several different shocks, and changing my mind about a dozen times I finally asked Eddie (WOL) what he would run for my drivivg style. He said the Bilstein 5100. Ok, but they just aren't as flashy and cool as those remote reservior shocks on the market. Well I figured Eddie has been around the block a few times, so I took his advise and ordered a set of 5100's. WOW, I couldn't believe the difference. Those normal bumps in the road are almost non existant. And those humps I referred to earlier are definately more tolerable. I have a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4X4 extended cab truck, and I feel the ride is real comparable. If there is any down side, I would say there is a fair amount of side to side give. Like the Jeep will rock side to side if you don't hit a bump square on. But it's not bad at all.
It's definately soft. If you like a firm ride, this is not the setup you want. I spend about 95% of my driving on road, so I was after a plush ride. I feel it will still preform well offroad, but I haven't got the chance to test that out yet.
I just thought I would put this out there for anyone who is considering this spring and shock combination.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in the same boat man! Shocks are really what people need to invest in. I had some teraflex 9550s and the ride iffy at best, picked up some of those fox remote reservoir shocks and wow!!! Best investment I have made in my jeep this far! Ride is 10x better
Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KCTW
When I as researching the ride quality of the EVO plush ride springs with different shocks, I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for. I would have loved to get the Kings that are valved to these shocks, but I just couldn't afford it.
While I can't speak for other shocks on the market, I can give you my opinion of these Springs with Skyjacker Nitro shocks that were on the jeep, and also the Bistein 5100's I just put on.
Even with the EVO springs, the ride was harsh with the Skyjackers. Normal bumps in the road were difinately felt, but tolerable. When I would encounter that occasional hump in the road caused from freezing here in Northern Illinois. It is almost bone jarring. You would swear the hump was about a foot tall.
After studying several different shocks, and changing my mind about a dozen times I finally asked Eddie (WOL) what he would run for my drivivg style. He said the Bilstein 5100. Ok, but they just aren't as flashy and cool as those remote reservior shocks on the market. Well I figured Eddie has been around the block a few times, so I took his advise and ordered a set of 5100's. WOW, I couldn't believe the difference. Those normal bumps in the road are almost non existant. And those humps I referred to earlier are definately more tolerable. I have a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4X4 extended cab truck, and I feel the ride is real comparable. If there is any down side, I would say there is a fair amount of side to side give. Like the Jeep will rock side to side if you don't hit a bump square on. But it's not bad at all.
It's definately soft. If you like a firm ride, this is not the setup you want. I spend about 95% of my driving on road, so I was after a plush ride. I feel it will still preform well offroad, but I haven't got the chance to test that out yet.
I just thought I would put this out there for anyone who is considering this spring and shock combination.
I'm running the plush coils with Fox remote res shocks(I too originally had 5100;s). I will agree that the on road ride isn't as soft as expected, given the Fox shocks are also a bit stiffer on road then my old Bilstein 5100's. However, hit a dirt road, pot holes, speed bumps at high speeds, this set up really shines. Makes washboard smooth, soaks up heavier hits beautifully. Like WOL has mentioned too, that ride quality and feel is very subjective to each individual. For me I love this set up, especially being I started with RC's 'rough' lift. Hit some rough roads/trails with these coils though and they'll stand up to their title of 'plush'. Happy Jeepin!Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020005.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	403640Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020008.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	403641
Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run the 4" plush and King shocks and has a great ride!! Shocks have a lot to do with the smooth ride but also Psi plays a factor as well, too much air can give a hard ride
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2104342113.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	403652  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's nice to see you like the set up I live hear in Champaign and know the types of roads you're talkin about. I got a 2.5 inch teraflex on and 5100s on order. I too thought about goin to the plush rides down the road.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KCTW, I have my eyes set on this exact set up. My quest has been to improve on-road ride quality. I did AEV correction brackets and EVO draglink flip with great results already, but still feel there is room for improvement.

I did the flip kit and brackets at different times so I could clearly see if each provided positive results. (which they did)

I would like to do the same with the shocks and springs. Based on your post, did the most noticeable improvement come from the shocks or the springs ?

My JK is a pavement princess and I have a back condition which is worsening in recent years. These improvements are allowing me to keep me in my Jeep and out of a Crown Vic
Old 01-01-2013, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

OP and others can you guys throw up some pics of your rides ?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
KCTW, I have my eyes set on this exact set up. My quest has been to improve on-road ride quality. I did AEV correction brackets and EVO draglink flip with great results already, but still feel there is room for improvement.

I did the flip kit and brackets at different times so I could clearly see if each provided positive results. (which they did)

I would like to do the same with the shocks and springs. Based on your post, did the most noticeable improvement come from the shocks or the springs ?

My JK is a pavement princess and I have a back condition which is worsening in recent years. These improvements are allowing me to keep me in my Jeep and out of a Crown Vic

It was definately a more noticable improvment with the shocks. The springs did help, but the shocks really improved the ride. These springs and shocks work well together if your looking for a soft ride.

Originally Posted by jeeperak
OP and others can you guys throw up some pics of your rides ?

Are you looking for pics of the shocks and springs, or of the whole Jeep?
If it's the whole Jeep you want to see I have several pics in my album.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda resurrecting this thread. I have the Evo Plush coils with 5100's. The ride is great on the highway, but I still feel the washboard bumps or brick roads are kinda harsh. It seems pretty intuitive, but I'm wondering if my issue is more with the light weight of my 4dr. I run it with a Trektop NX; no spare; no skids or heavy armor; no steel flares; light frame-rail caps vs heavy steel rear bumper; and a light front bumper with a winch. Do you feel the lack of weight is contributing to the harshness on some bumps, vs weight that would aid in compressing the shocks and springs?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2316611173.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	646678  
Old 05-10-2016, 02:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost1972
I have the Evo Plush coils with 5100's. The ride is great on the highway, but I still feel the washboard bumps or brick roads are kinda harsh.
Are your 5100's tuned to the coils, or just off the shelf?

I am running different coils, but I thought the 5100's were a very stiff shock. My ride improved quite a bit after changing to the OME's that MC recommended for their coils.

Without knowing the coil and shock rates, might be hard to say whether adding weight would help.

Quick Reply: My impression of the EVO plush ride springs and Bilstein 5100's