Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

my homemade warn look alike bumper

Old 02-19-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

perfect job, people have no idea how much time it takes to make a simple clean bumper like that --- great work, can't wait to see it with all your other plans for it
Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks guys! after doing some lookign around on here i am thinking about do some rock sliders too?

i took 4 years of welding and fabrication is high school. i am really good with a torch! the only thing i can t do is bend stuff, just don t have the equipment to do it. oh and i only have $60 bucks into this so far.

the 2x6 channel was $51 and change and the 2x3/16 flat stock for the ends was $10. there is a local performance shop who fabs racecar frames that is going to bendup the stinger for me out of DOM. it will look very similar to the new rugged ridge stinger for the xrc bumper.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

good job on the bumper, but it doesnt even resembe a warn, the warns have bent back corners, yours doesnt

still a good job
Old 02-20-2008, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Nice going!

Are you going to try a winch on that thing one day?

If you put a winch mount plate/cradle in there as a spacing device before you finalize the ends, etc...it will help in the future...plus, it will triangulate your box, making it all way stronger than the stock set up could ever be....and give you a place to stand on when doing the plugs, mount tow hooks or lights to, etc.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Freak

looks great, I hope to have a lod atatched to a jk by nextweekend and have been thinking that I might try and design a hoop or stinger for it. THis may sound dumb but is there a difference btween a hoop and a stinger?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by guinness
looks great, I hope to have a lod atatched to a jk by nextweekend and have been thinking that I might try and design a hoop or stinger for it. THis may sound dumb but is there a difference btween a hoop and a stinger?

LOL

A hoop looks like a rounded bar, a stinger looks like it comes to a still round, but sharper point, and it angled to lean forward a great deal ahead of the jeep, so that if you are going to do a front "ENDO" ...it acts like the old wheelie bars did on the drag racers when they'd do a rear "ENDO".

This is a stinger:

This is a Hoop:

The stinger is mostly a competition thing, as it looks a bit much on a daily driver on his way to and from work, etc...but there are milder "Stinger-esque" hoops too...so there are designs that split the difference.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only input I can give is to tack a flat piece on top to cover the frame up to the grill. Thats the only ugly looking part in my opinion.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TEEJ

This is a stinger:

Damn!
Old 02-20-2008, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for clearing that up.
Greasemonkey85, have you thought about any custom cutouts to set you apart from the warn. I like the look of thier bumper but, if your going to build your own you ight want to set it apart so everyone isnt always saying "nice warn".
Old 02-20-2008, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

no i ve never thought about it. it will definately be different from a warn once i get the stinger on it.

and yes it does look like the warn bumper that they made for the TJ. maybe a little taller.

Quick Reply: my homemade warn look alike bumper