Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My first real work - help!

Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first real work - help!

Hi there,

what I read in this forum made me feel confident about doing things myself (thanks a lot guys!). So, I decided I am going to install the OME lift and the JKS quicker disconnects myself!! (Hopefully you dont mind David, I'll contact you soon to buy these). BUT MY QUESTION IS: which floor stand and jack stands will I need? Is it ok to have a maximum height of 21" to install the 2.5-3" lift? I appreciate your help!! Thanks!

Jeppo
Old 01-26-2009, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I put my Full Traction lift on in August 2007 I used a Harbor Freight floor jack (P/N 34271)
and Northern Tool 6 ton jack stands (P/N T46002). The floor jack has a max height of 20" which
is plenty and the jack stands height varies from 15 3/4" min. to 23 7/8" max. I also used an ancient
K-mart floor jack that helped in rotating the pinion(s). I'm sure a cheap bottle jack would do the trick.
15mm, 18mm, 19mm and 21mm wrenches and sockets are also required. I used an impact wrench
but you can do without it no problem.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeppo
Hi there,

what I read in this forum made me feel confident about doing things myself (thanks a lot guys!). So, I decided I am going to install the OME lift and the JKS quicker disconnects myself!! (Hopefully you dont mind David, I'll contact you soon to buy these). BUT MY QUESTION IS: which floor stand and jack stands will I need? Is it ok to have a maximum height of 21" to install the 2.5-3" lift? I appreciate your help!! Thanks!

Jeppo
Ihad the same question a while back. I got mixed replies from people on the size of the jackstands. Some people said they would work fine while others said they weren't tall enough. What I got from it was that the 6 ton would work, but the 12 ton would be better. I decided to go ahead and get a set of 12 ton from Harbor Freight rather than get 6 ton and possibly regret it. I'd rather go a little overkill when it comes to safety. The 12 ton go up to 30 inches and I paid $75 for them. Pretty much everybody agreed that the 21" floor jack was tall enough.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys. Any other member suggesting anything?

I found different opinions as well...

Jeppo
Old 01-26-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

A 21 inch jack was good enough for me. If I were to do it again, I would buy the 12 ton jackstands for the wider base. The ones I got worked okay but I felt I was just squeaking by at that height.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I do.

1: jack up the vehicle and remove the tires. Then lower it onto the jack stands. Make sure the axle is high enough off the ground to allow clearance for the lift springs. So if you have a 3" lift, leave at least 5" between the axle and the ground. Then just jack it back up when its time to put tires on. I have put 6" lifts on with basic jack stands before on several vehicles.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

A Jk weighs about 5000#. Each tire supports about 1250# (5000/4). A 12 ton jack stand will support 24000#s. A little overkill. I use 4 ton jack stands and that's is plenty. I like the one that have the ratchet type adjustment. What I did is jack up one tire and place the jack stand on the frame as close to the end that you are working. I usaully stick the riser part out about half way. Remove the tire, place a few 4x4's or whatever under the brake discs and lower the axle. Go around and do the same on the other side. The droop in the axel should be enough to work on your suspension. If not raise the jack stands accordingly. Place your floor jack under the pumpkin and you now can raise and lower the axel as needed to install the components. Good luck
Old 01-27-2009, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eugene
A Jk weighs about 5000#. Each tire supports about 1250# (5000/4). A 12 ton jack stand will support 24000#s. A little overkill. I use 4 ton jack stands and that's is plenty. I like the one that have the ratchet type adjustment. What I did is jack up one tire and place the jack stand on the frame as close to the end that you are working. I usaully stick the riser part out about half way. Remove the tire, place a few 4x4's or whatever under the brake discs and lower the axle. Go around and do the same on the other side. The droop in the axel should be enough to work on your suspension. If not raise the jack stands accordingly. Place your floor jack under the pumpkin and you now can raise and lower the axel as needed to install the components. Good luck

The reason I went with the 12 ton was because of the wider base (stability) and the ability to go up to 30" tall. That way I'm not maxed out on height with the 6 ton stands. I know that a lot of people have done it with 6 ton jackstands with no problem. I'd just rather go overkill instead of just doing the minimum needed,

Last edited by ScottK; 01-27-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScottK
The reason I went with the 12 ton was because of the wider base (stability) and the ability to go up to 30" tall. That way I'm not maxed out on height with the 6 ton stands. I know that a lot of people have done it with 6 ton jackstands with no problem.I'd just rather go overkill instead of just doing the minimum needed,
X2 For jack stands, overkill is very good.

Quick Reply: My first real work - help!