Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My first modification...Daystar 1" BL

Old 02-26-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first modification...Daystar 1" BL

I just installed my first mod, the Daystar 1" BL. It took me about four hours, but now that I got through a couple of hurdles, I could probably do it in two hours.

The bottom metal clips to release the grill are not obvious, and these must be released in order to remove the grill. This is not demonstrated on the installation instructions. Also not covered is the fact that the signal lights have tabs behind them that must be released before removing the grill. The other hurdle were the mounting bolts, which have factory installed washers which on four of the mounts would not allow the bolt to be removed, leaving you wondering if you just stripped the bolt. Simple solution, push the loosened bolt back up through the mount, with the tub raised, and this washer is readily visible and easily removed.

If anyone is contemplating this mod, let me know. No since in going through these hurdles if you don't have to. Otherwise, a very fun project. Next week, Teraflex 2.5 BB with 35's on 17x8's.

Happy Wheelin'!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, why the body lift if your going to do the 2.5" lift? Glad it worked out for you, bet your proud you did it yourself.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Post some pics!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

Conifer, I wanted at least three inches of lift to fit 35's without rub. If I did the Teraflex 3.5 " premium lift, then you really should replace the OEM driveshaft, which will prematurely wear. But if I put on a 2.5 BB with a 1" BL, then the geometry doesn't change enough to warrant changing the driveshafts. These are my first mods, so I don't by any stretch of the imagination have it all figured out. I'm also a family man and I don't have an unlimited budget. If I did, then I would install a 4.5" long arm, Tom Woods 1310 shafts, etc.

I would argue it is not worthless if you are attempting to install this and get snubbed because you couldn't figure out how to get the bottom releases off or remove the mount bolts. I'm a pretty good home mechanic but I gotta admit I stumbled on these. Hopefully someone will read this and save themselves a couple of hours.

I am going to take a pic in the morning and then figure how to post it on this thread. I may stumble on this as well.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Let's see if these pictures make this thread worth something If it works....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0130.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	282883   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0129.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	282884  

Quick Reply: My first modification...Daystar 1" BL