Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My E-disco just went Kaput,,, what now,

Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My E-disco just went Kaput,,, what now,

Hi to all,

I went ryding this week end, and my 2010, rubicon, E-disco just died,

The jeep has 80 000 milles on it, modified with 4 in terraflex, and 35 in tyres. Once this summer I filled the connector with dielectric grease. We have dirty winters here in Montreal with lots of salts on roads. The jeep was always treated with rust gard every year.

It was cold on the trail, I hit water and ice over the e-disco.

Problem: now the light flickers on and off, continiously, on 4 or 2 wheel drive. What does it mean ? I believe the electronic cannot confirm the position. May it be affected by water, I beleive so, since the flickering of light started after the water crossing.

I do not know how to do a diagnostic, I don't even know if the swaybar is locked since I have very heavy terraflex springs and the jeep still runs good on the highway.

would this help:

verifiy the fuse (which one ?)
Remove the plug on e-disco and clean and grease, try the system.
Remove motor drive and clean and grease with light oil spay.

and should I just go to for the EVO mechanical assembly at 100 $, and forget the electronic gadgetry of the e disco. I got a good 3 years out of it anyway (this may be my prefered solution before my next sortie).

Meanwhile, should I continue to drive the jeep to work,

thanks for all comments and help.

ray
Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

You can try to clean and dry the conections then apply a light dielectric grease similar to what was there originally. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes while doing this as it should reset the computer. If this does not work then the dealership or the EVO route.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go the EVO route and install their solution. Not worth paying the dealer!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine did the same thing, I took it apart so that I could manually reconnect it and get the light out. Now I just use the disconnects I had from a previous Jeep so that I don't have to mess with it any more. If you go the Evo route or opt for a standard sway bar you will need the AEV Procal to turn off the E disco feature so that the light doesn't constantly flash.

Taking it apart is super easy
Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to us once. A friend suggested I unplug the harness from the unit. I re plugged it and it works great.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd pull it completely an replace it with Currie Antirock or go with the EVO solution.
Either way, one more reason why I don't think a Rubicon is worth it.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:46 AM
JK Freak

i have the electric portion of the rubi disco...used the evo disco on it. it still works as sfar as i know. if its your electrics piece and not the whole thing that'll fix it. $10 to pay for my gas to go to the ups store and whatever it costs me to ship it to you and iits yours. might just do the trick. i could probably ship with usps flat rate box for under $10 too. guess it depends on the price for the box it fits in.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

So I got it working,

I unplug the battery, clean the connection, and lossen some of the bolts of the apparatus.

My observations,

This thing is not very thight, even locked there is some free play between both parts of the sway bar,

There was at least 100 ml of water inside the mechanical part of the unit, boy what would that do in winter time in Montreal.

My plan is to buy the EVO thing, and install it before end fo month. Thaks for the recommendatinons.

However I'm considering a new Terraflex dual rate bar,, has any of you tried this bar that is 10 % stiffer and has a minimum tork for the trail,

ray
Old 08-04-2014, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
I'd pull it completely an replace it with Currie Antirock or go with the EVO solution.
Either way, one more reason why I don't think a Rubicon is worth it.
^^^ Yep, Sport Owner.

I had same issue. I unplugged at motor. I think I was doing 25mph with sway bar disconnected.
It did not like that. Down hill driving.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by la petite fumee
So I got it working, I unplug the battery, clean the connection, and lossen some of the bolts of the apparatus. My observations, This thing is not very thight, even locked there is some free play between both parts of the sway bar, There was at least 100 ml of water inside the mechanical part of the unit, boy what would that do in winter time in Montreal. My plan is to buy the EVO thing, and install it before end fo month. Thaks for the recommendatinons. However I'm considering a new Terraflex dual rate bar,, has any of you tried this bar that is 10 % stiffer and has a minimum tork for the trail, ray
Everything I read about the TF dual rate sway bar has been pretty good. I saw that a couple of folks had their sway bars break but TF replaced the parts and all was well. I ended up going the currie antirock route and I'm happy with it on and off road. I think the TF one was about $300-$400 more, but you do get two sway bars with 2 settings, so it may be worth it.

Quick Reply: My E-disco just went Kaput,,, what now,