Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My Dream Build

Old 09-07-2013, 09:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope I don't get flamed for this but I have the rugged ridge bumpers (similar to smitty built) and love them. I can't wait to see what this monster looks like when it's done. Stay safe
Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm thinking more and more about the poison spider front bumper and rear bumper.....

Also looking seriously at the ProRock44.....thinking I'll get two with 5.13 gears....

My build is looking like it'll break 30k......which is my budget hahaha......if my wife only realized.........
Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 PM
JK Super Freak

I have PR44 and it's a nice piece of hardware! I definitely recommend that or a Rubi 44 rather than building a D30. True the housings are the same but the gears are much beefier in the D44. figure 5k for a fully loaded PR44 like mine or you can pick up a Rubi D44 for a couple thousand and install sleeves and gussets. Also with the 3.6 you don't need to be aggressive with the gears you may get by with 4:56 or 4:88 vs 5:13 especially if it's a daily driver for you.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigRed0625
3 years ago I built a 2009 wrangler X and had to sell it when I got orders to Okinawa, Japan. Well my wife told me if I save enough over the 3 years I'm here I can build anything I want.....well it's come the time where I am ready to order my parts...I just ordered my brand new 2014 Wrangler Unlimited 4-door hardtop...and over the last 3 years I have been researching and deciding every aspect of my build....removing and replacing parts from my build list.....

This will be my DD however I want to build it up to be capable of handling any crawling I decide to do....

Here's my parts list, please let me know what you think and if I'm missing anything I will NEED to run everything...

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 door

3.6L Ripp Supercharger kit.
Gibson Ceramic coated headers.
Gibson Ceramic catback exhaust.
HyLine louvered hood panel.
Off-Road Evo MFG Bolt on Coilover Conversion Front.
Off-Road Evo King front bumpstops.
Off-Road Evo MFG Bolt on Coilover Conversion Rear.
Off-Road Evo MFG Bolt on DD Long Arm Conversion.
J.E. Reel 1311 Front driveshaft 4-6" lift
J.E. Reel 1311 Rear driveshaft 4-6" lift
Smittybilt SRC front bumper.
Smittybilt XRC-10 Comp winch.
Smittybilt XRC rear bumper/tire carrier.
SmittyBilt XRC rear fender corners.
SmittyBilt XRC front fenders.
Smittybilt SRC rocker guards.
KMA Fabrication Roof Rack/Light bar Custom.
17" ProComp 7005 Black rims x5
17" ProComp Rock rings X5($60.59ea).
37x12.5x17 Goodyear wrangler MT/R x5
KC HiLites 8" round 35watt offroad lights X8
Body Armor 4x4 Front tubular doors.
Body Armor 4x4 Rear tubular doors.
AEV Snorkel
I'd suggest looking at an LS swap over the RIPP, the cost for the reliability and what you get is not that much more... take a look at Motec but the new 3.6 should hopefully provide years of service.

I think I would've gotten the Rubi for the D44's front and rear and not have to spend more on a D30 to hold up to 37's (though many are running that setup just fine). I don't a see gear swap in your build budget to keep those 37's rolling.

I've had some Smitty items that didn't work out so well and others that were great. I currently have their rock rails and have friends that have the bumpers. They are tough and some look well made others look rough but nothing a little grinder cleanup and possible weld cleanup won't take care of. The price is much better than others!

Also might recommend looking at your state fender laws before you make that change.

Nice list!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Also looking seriously at the ProRock44.....thinking I'll get two with 5.13 gears....
Front only. For the rear, look into any of the aftermarket d60's.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice guys.....what are yals guys opinions on lockers?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeeeep

I'd suggest looking at an LS swap over the RIPP, the cost for the reliability and what you get is not that much more... take a look at Motec but the new 3.6 should hopefully provide years of service.

I think I would've gotten the Rubi for the D44's front and rear and not have to spend more on a D30 to hold up to 37's (though many are running that setup just fine). I don't a see gear swap in your build budget to keep those 37's rolling.

I've had some Smitty items that didn't work out so well and others that were great. I currently have their rock rails and have friends that have the bumpers. They are tough and some look well made others look rough but nothing a little grinder cleanup and possible weld cleanup won't take care of. The price is much better than others!

Also might recommend looking at your state fender laws before you make that change.

Nice list!
Yeah that's why I was thinking of ordering the ProRock44 with new gears already in it....

The reason I got a sport vs the Rubi is it was $10k cheaper and I was going to be pulling most of it out anyway for upgraded components....thinking I could use the 10k for some HEAVY duty axle housings.....
Old 09-07-2013, 11:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys.....what are yals guys opinions on lockers?
Detroit Truetrac , Detroit Locker , and ARB are the benchmarks for their respective categories. (open to debate, I suppose). Just depends on what you're looking for. For your lack of budget, can't really go wrong with a pair of ARB's tucked inside a pair of prorocks.

This one has some good info.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Dynatrac Presents - Lockers 101
Old 09-07-2013, 11:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf

Detroit Truetrac , Detroit Locker , and ARB are the benchmarks for their respective categories. (open to debate, I suppose). Just depends on what you're looking for. For your lack of budget, can't really go wrong with a pair of ARB's tucked inside a pair of prorocks.

This one has some good info.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Dynatrac Presents - Lockers 101
Thanks a ton.....puts it in proper perspective....sounds like ProRock may be my route....with the ARB lockers
Old 09-08-2013, 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

I run an ARB front locker (still need to install PR44) with the factory elocker in the back (have a Rubicon). That way I won't have both fail at the same time if I have and Air hose ripped off or a compressor failure. That said I'll probably get an ARB for the rear if the factory locker ever fails.

Quick Reply: My Dream Build