Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My build for the summer

Old 12-26-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da10A
I'd say 3 inches less lift !?!?! Seriously man, you're screwing with the whole geometry and engineering of your Jeep by lifting it that high. Heck of a lot more involved than a few bolt-on parts. Your jeep just won't be fun and safe to drive anymore.... so in the end, you will have destroyed a 20000 dollar rig.

But hey, it's your Jeep....
I'm sure hes interested in the list of parts that it will take to do this lift correctly. Before you dismiss the actual project all together maybe add something constructive and shine some light on his future. No offense.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Baddintentions4u
Contrary to popular belief there is nothing wrong with RC lifts. I've been running my 4 in X-Series for a year now with plenty of offroad adventures with no issues whatsoever. I say to each his/her own and get what your pocket can afford. Even better piece it altogether and make a Frankenlift from different lifts..... What matter the most is your satisfaction with what you have.
I think the RC lift is the best bang for the buck... almost. I bought the 4" X-flex system (4in X-series Suspension Lift Kit for 07-13 Jeep JK Wrangler [673X] | Rough Country Suspension Systems) because for the money you can't beat it... you get everything. The control arms are VERY beefy and I was impressed with the ride quality and flex. Now my only complaint are the RC Flex joint (fake johnny joints). I had the first one rip apart within 15 miles of driving to the trail (on flat pavement). With in a week ALL 4 front had ripped apart and I had to put spot welds on the screw-in side washer to keep them together. I heard RC support is great and I could have called them for replacement but I didn't waste my time, I just ordered real Johnny Joint replacement ends (all 8 for front and rear) and now everything is ROCK Solid and still way under what I would have paid for everything from another kit. So even if you are building a mall crawler and never plan on going in the dirt.... plan on replacing the fake JJ's. Just my two cents

PS - I only went with 4" because I plan on running 37's but not until I finish gears, gussets, etc... and the 4" was a PITA to get all the angles right. Wouldn't want to even mess with the 6"

With the replaced JJ's

4" with 35's

Last edited by Riptide9; 12-26-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by tklein42
He seems pretty set on putting this kit in. Dirt i know your the man when it comes to anything with 4 wheels. Maybe a long list of expensive parts will help him out. That why were here right?
From my experience it is a waste of time trying to educate these kids that are given a jeep and want to lift it to the sky for the "look at me" factor. Some people can only learn the hard way. They usually screw it up so bad they sell it an go with a mustang or ricer. They have no interest in doing it right or leaning about things like geometry. I bet he even thinks he is going to swap his own gears. I see it over and over with a a big FAIL. Its his jeep he can run whatever he wants on it and seems like he is set on a 6" lift. I really don't feel like having to hold someones hand and educate them on everything it takes to run a big lift when you can find out with the search function and find the answer 100 times over.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
go with a mustang or ricer.

Hahahaha. More great advice from yours truely.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently traded in my beloved 2007 X JK 2 door for a 2012 Rubicon. Only mod the the Rubi was a 3" Rough Country lift.

WOW! Did it live up to it's name! Rough was an understatement.
It bounced like mad, wandered in and out of lanes, dove hard braking and generally just went wherever the hell it wanted to. 65 MPH was really sketchy. Took it back to the dealership within the first 30 miles.
Alignment was spot on, tires were stock BFG MT's. Dealer said there was nothing they could do. Mechanic agreed with me though, it handled like crap.

So, after 500 miles I had to rip out all the springs, shocks, cheap track bar brackets and rubber spacers and start over.
Both front shocks had seal leaks, both rear spring spacers were split and shock bodies and all 4 springs were already showing signs of rust.

Keep in mind this JK only has a few thousand miles on it so very, very little road use and we don't use salt on the roads up here. Hadn't even been off road yet.
I assume siome RC lift kits are better than others, the one put in my Jeep was awful. It went in the metal scrap bin.
3" OME lift went in without a hitch and handles even better than a new JK now.

Long story short, I've found suspension is a terrible place to save a few bucks.
Most likley it will handle poorly, you'll end up frustrated and spend a small fortune trying to fix all the issues you could have avoided with a better quality kit.

Cheapo ebay bumper, sliders, harbor freight winch and generic off road lights are fine. Do your Jeep a favor and kick down for some good suspension.
You'll never regret it.

Even if you're not planning on wheeling at all the OME 4" lift or something well known and trusted is a safe bet.
Terraflex, EVO, Rubicon express, etc.
A poor handling 5,000 lb vehicle just put's you, your family and everyone around you at risk.

Plan on going to 37's myself. I'm starting with upgrading the axles and gears first as it will be used off road.

Good luck man, hope your JK turns out great. Post some pics up as you go.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
From my experience it is a waste of time trying to educate these kids that are given a jeep and want to lift it to the sky for the "look at me" factor. Some people can only learn the hard way. They usually screw it up so bad they sell it an go with a mustang or ricer. They have no interest in doing it right or leaning about things like geometry. I bet he even thinks he is going to swap his own gears. I see it over and over with a a big FAIL. Its his jeep he can run whatever he wants on it and seems like he is set on a 6" lift. I really don't feel like having to hold someones hand and educate them on everything it takes to run a big lift when you can find out with the search function and find the answer 100 times over.
Not a kid bud just looking for advice have had 3 jeeps already all of them lifted by me. Wouldn't ever touch gears by myself and have never had a problem with any lifts I've installed. Do some research before you think you know who your talking about. And you don't have to hold anyone's hand. The fun of jeeps is in the learning. Gotta fail to learn.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said... then lets say that you're about to learn. ... good luck with your build.

FWIW...I really like the way your jeep looks like now......

Envoyé depuis mon MB860 avec Tapatalk

Last edited by Da10A; 12-26-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

17 and living at home is a Kid in my book, mb you would prefer teenager. When you can buy me a beer or become a trained killer serving the country then I will consider you a man.

Before I posted, I read through your previous posts and checked your incomplete profile as I generally do before commenting on a post. That is about as much research as I can do.

You didn't start this post by asking any questions. You just posted up a wet dream that you cam up with to see who would say "cool"
This is the second thread you have started about running a 6" lift for the wow factor and when given advise you seem to shrug it off as if you know better. Too bad your Jeep is not black, you could be Ludski 2. But I am just a mean ass hole and will leave you alone now.
Good luck with the build and be safe at the mall.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

"Gotta fail to learn." Now THAT, is stinkin' thinkin'.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by whitejkdev
It's strictly a street machine, and never had a 6 inch lift yet on any of my jeeps so wanna see what happens. I know because it's a mall crawler it'll need a lot less

Even so, a lift that high will give you a crappy center of gravity, either on the trail or on the highway!

i went to 37's and I kept it down at 4" of lift

matthew

Quick Reply: My build for the summer