Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My Build Idea.. What am I missing... any suggestions

Old 09-23-2015, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Build Idea.. What am I missing... any suggestions

AEV 2.5" American Expedition Vehicles - Brute Kit, V8 HEMI, Aftermarket Jeep Conversions, Products, Wheels, Accessories and Highline Kits for Jeeps (TJ, JK, WK, XK).
35" Tires on Stock Wheels with 1.5" Spacers for now. Not sure what tires yet.. prolly Toyo Open Country ATII
4.10 Gears (brand? where to buy?)
High Steer Kit Not sure which one. Fox AEV
AEV ProCal for gear and tire size correction.

I use this about 90% on road, some distance hence the gearing and more AT style tires.
NO future desire to move to 37's. The off-roading I do a mix between mud, rockclimbing(Moderate at best) and trail. I am going for much more of an expedition build. This is also my work vehicle and use it to access remote oil field sites so there's that.

I have done a lot of reading and feel I have a pretty good grip on what I am doing. My last jeep was a TJ and was much more of a rec vehicle so I didn't need to depend on it daily like I do my JK.

However I love the collective knowledge we have here and embrace peoples experiences and lessons learned.

2015 JKUR. Pretty Stock.

Last edited by bjielsl; 09-23-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:17 AM
JK Junkie

You won't need high steer at 2.5. Most gearing from what i hear is mad in the same plant... So pick one.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
You won't need high steer at 2.5. Most gearing from what i hear is mad in the same plant... So pick one.
Good to know on the gearing.

If not a high steer kit, how about the need for a beefier steering stabilizer?
Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bjielsl
Good to know on the gearing. If not a high steer kit, how about the need for a beefier steering stabilizer?
As long as your suspension is set up right a stock stabilizer is fine. I have 37's with stock, no issues. As far as gears, like he said pretty much made the same, I'd recommend G2 just for the price and 10yr warranty.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BeachJK
As long as your suspension is set up right a stock stabilizer is fine. I have 37's with stock, no issues. As far as gears, like he said pretty much made the same, I'd recommend G2 just for the price and 10yr warranty.

G2 sounds good.

Any bad news on AEV lifts. From everything I have read they seem to be well built and complete.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, you had the option for 4.10 gears when you bought it, but decided to pay 4x the cost and wait until you got it home?

The 4.10 is a small difference over the 3.73 I presume you have now. Not worth the investment. Also, the 4.10 gears are a lot more expensive as you have to buy the OEM gears. Given that you have a JKU and are going to 35s, 4.56 would be the right gear choice. Or, keep the 3.73 and see how it goes.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
So, you had the option for 4.10 gears when you bought it, but decided to pay 4x the cost and wait until you got it home? The 4.10 is a small difference over the 3.73 I presume you have now. Not worth the investment. Also, the 4.10 gears are a lot more expensive as you have to buy the OEM gears. Given that you have a JKU and are going to 35s, 4.56 would be the right gear choice. Or, keep the 3.73 and see how it goes.
I agree, one of the local guys has a 14 JKUR with 37s and 4.10s and says it's fine, no plans to regear. I would try the 35s and 3.73 first.

I have a 2015 and going 37's with 4.88 only because I had these tires from my 2011 jeep and maybe plan on 40s after these wear out.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
So, you had the option for 4.10 gears when you bought it, but decided to pay 4x the cost and wait until you got it home?

The 4.10 is a small difference over the 3.73 I presume you have now. Not worth the investment. Also, the 4.10 gears are a lot more expensive as you have to buy the OEM gears. Given that you have a JKU and are going to 35s, 4.56 would be the right gear choice. Or, keep the 3.73 and see how it goes.
Bought off the lot. Didn't really have the option to choose, I didn't order the jeep. It was a snap decision to purchase the jeep by my company. High side is that the company leases my jeep from me. So as long as I work here I drive free Rubicon. I don't mind paying for 4.56's or OEM gearing if it going to reduce load on my drive-train and keeping fuel economy the same. I realize that 3.73 to 4.10 at 70mph is only about 200ish RPM, however I spend a lot of time bouncing around town going from job site to job site so I am more concerned with 0-30 mph revs then at 70mph I guess. That is why I went 4.10 based on the chart I found it seemed to be the best solution between the two.

However, I am constantly learning. I didn't know I had to purchase OEM Gears to go in Stock Dana 44's.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought off the lot. Didn't really have the option to choose, I didn't order the jeep. It was a snap decision to purchase the jeep by my company. High side is that the company leases my jeep from me. So as long as I work here I drive free Rubicon. I don't mind paying for 4.56's or OEM gearing if it going to reduce load on my drive-train and keeping fuel economy the same. I realize that 3.73 to 4.10 at 70mph is only about 200ish RPM, however I spend a lot of time bouncing around town going from job site to job site so I am more concerned with 0-30 mph revs then at 70mph I guess. That is why I went 4.10 based on the chart I found it seemed to be the best solution between the two.

However, I am constantly learning. I didn't know I had to purchase OEM Gears to go in Stock Dana 44's.
Generally, the aftermarket gear manufacturers don't make gears that are already made by the OEM.

You won't notice a difference around town between 3.73 and 4.10. A little on the highway in terms of gear shifts.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bought off the lot. Didn't really have the option to choose, I didn't order the jeep. It was a snap decision to purchase the jeep by my company. High side is that the company leases my jeep from me. So as long as I work here I drive free Rubicon. I don't mind paying for 4.56's or OEM gearing if it going to reduce load on my drive-train and keeping fuel economy the same. I realize that 3.73 to 4.10 at 70mph is only about 200ish RPM, however I spend a lot of time bouncing around town going from job site to job site so I am more concerned with 0-30 mph revs then at 70mph I guess. That is why I went 4.10 based on the chart I found it seemed to be the best solution between the two. However, I am constantly learning. I didn't know I had to purchase OEM Gears to go in Stock Dana 44's.
You don't "have to purchase OEM gears to go into stock Dana 44s"... He just means if you want 4.10 gearing you will have to purchase OEM gears for that particular ratio. At least that is my guess on what he meant. But I think Yukon gears come in that ratio. Not sure that G2 makes those.

Quick Reply: My Build Idea.. What am I missing... any suggestions