Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

My Banks exhaust help

Old 04-15-2008, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Banks exhaust help

I have a banks exhaust, and its leaking a little out where you connect them together. is there supposed to be a certain spot to put the u bolt clamps so it will not do that? Please help. its very annoying.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by armyguy
I have a banks exhaust, and its leaking a little out where you connect them together. is there supposed to be a certain spot to put the u bolt clamps so it will not do that? Please help. its very annoying.
Im not sure what kinda clamps they gave you, so no advice there. But a trick you can try is using RTV High Temp Copper sealant (gasket maker) at the joints. Pull the joint apart, put a healthy bead around the pipe, reinstall, clamp and give it an hour to start to set. Its a great trick to eliminate small exhaust leaks if you arent welding the joints.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

the pipes have about 5 slits down about and .5" - 1" or so. its leaking from the base of them. small leaks but very annoying sound. ticking sound. you know. orther than that i highly recomend the banks. i love it. sounds great.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Junkie

the pipes have about 5 slits down about and .5" - 1" or so. its leaking from the base of them. small leaks but very annoying sound. ticking sound. you know. orther than that i highly recomend the banks. i love it. sounds great.
try the RTV copper, I think it will fix it for you. I know the "ticks" drive me crazy too!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

i will as a last resort i dont want to put anything i dont need. but thanks, and Great idea.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine would get welded together, but that's just me.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Banks Monster exhaust. I installed 2 weeks ago. I didn't fully understand what the instructions meant on the clamp placement. Mine are approximately in the middle of the slits. I kept tightening mine down even though I felt like I was too hard on them but the slits went together and I had no noise after a few adjustments.

thinking:
Old 04-15-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

weld them X2
Old 04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would try seating the pipe further into the other pipe. I had the same problem on my slip on exhaust on my street bike, just slide the pipe on further, re-clamped it and that solved the problem.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

i called banks. they said to put the u bolts behind the slits

Quick Reply: My Banks exhaust help