Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

must have undercarriage protection

Old 05-16-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default must have undercarriage protection

what do you guys view is absolutely needed for undercarriage protection
Old 05-16-2011, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

Diffs, Oil pan, LCA and either skid or relocate the Evap.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First -
Evap protection.
Front diff protection.
Engine Oil pan guard.
Sliders/rocker guard protection.

Later -
You could upgrade the t-case skid and gas tank skid, plus relocate the evap canister over the rear axle so it's out of the way completely.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:32 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KiokenJK
what do you guys view is absolutely needed for undercarriage protection
"absolutely needed"? NOTHING other than what comes on your jeep from the factory. something simple for your oil pan like a rancho skid or benchmark replacement HD pan is nice to have but even at that, far from "absolutely needed". in spite of what the doom sayers will have you believe, the factory skids are plenty strong and will get the job done. sure they will get beat up but, they will protect your jeep and, they are still what i and all my friends run to this very day. if you've ever seen any of our trail pics or videos, you'll know what kind of trails we run and how often we run them.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
"absolutely needed"? NOTHING other than what comes on your jeep from the factory. something simple for your oil pan like a rancho skid or benchmark replacement HD pan is nice to have but even at that, far from "absolutely needed". in spite of what the doom sayers will have you believe, the factory skids are plenty strong and will get the job done. sure they will get beat up but, they will protect your jeep and, they are still what i and all my friends run to this very day. if you've ever seen any of our trail pics or videos, you'll know what kind of trails we run and how often we run them.
sounds good. is there any factory parts that you would recommend upgrading then or is the stock stuff gonna be sufficient?

Last edited by KiokenJK; 05-16-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you very much!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After taking out my 2011 on the trail this weekend, the only one I would disagree with you on is the gas tank skid. Mine dented in quite a bit in the front since our tanks are plastic I imagine its also squished in the tank a bit I cant image it has the same capacity now There doesn't seem to be much ribbing to the factory skid which would keep the skid from deforming as much.

I guess if I really wanted to I could take off the skid and pound it back straight again.

I don't think the dealership likes me very much, I bought it last Monday and already went rock crawling with it this weekend, no fast bouncing around, just slowly crawling up stuff. Put quite a few scraps all over the underside. I guess its hard for them to understand why someone would take a bran new vehicle and do something like that lol.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KiokenJK

sounds good. is there any factory parts that you would recommend upgrading then or is the stock stuff gonna be sufficient?
You might wanna look into some diff covers seeing as the stock ones are as thin as a soda can. But nothing is really "needed"
Old 05-17-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pardon my newbie-ness..... What is an evap? And where is it located being stock? Sorry guys :(
Old 05-17-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07 JK "bullfrog"
Pardon my newbie-ness..... What is an evap? And where is it located being stock? Sorry guys :(
Evaporation canister. Plastic box which Jeep placed in a precarious position under the vehicle. Pretty vulnerable and a topic of debate on whether to move it or just protect it.
Recent thread discussion, as well as many older ones out there, is available here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...vap+relocation

Quick Reply: must have undercarriage protection