Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Must have mods

Old 10-22-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must have mods

Currently have a bone stock 2013 JKUR. We are taking our first (of hopefully many) Moab trip May 18th-26th 2013. My question is....what would you guys recommend for must have mods before taking this trip? I will be on a somewhat limited budget (few grand). What do you guys think?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

I'd say a winch lift tires and some under carriage protection like skid plates and what not .
Old 10-22-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Small coil lift some33s or 35s and a good winch And bumper
Old 10-22-2012, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

CB, Lift, winch/bumpers and skids
Old 10-22-2012, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

My plan is to do a 3" short arm, 35's and cb for sure. I want to make sure I do things right the first time around and not go to cheap on things. Thanks for the quick replies!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by olsonn
My plan is to do a 3" short arm, 35's and cb for sure. I want to make sure I do things right the first time around and not go to cheap on things. Thanks for the quick replies!
Forgot to ask. I know a winch is important, I've done the rubicon and fordyce and other misc trails with other jeeps. But do you think that would be a must have for this trip? I will be with several other jeeps with winches.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you dont want to pay for a winch or add that weight to the front of your new ride think about buying a come-along hand winch. You can buy a good one with the recovery gear you need(straps, sheer pins, extra handle, etc) for around 200 bucks or so. Sure it is not as easy to use as a winch on your front bumper but it also can be used to pull you from the back of your jeep and also side strap you so you dont lay your door into a tree or boulder if you slide off a rock the wrong way. Also is super nice for dragging big trees out of the way as well. Not many people mention one of these but if budget is a concern it is one of the first things that would go on my new JK.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going with others you do not need a wench just a good tow strap and good mt tires and as Armor goes you already have a canister skid plate I think they come standard on the new ones now . Pick your trail and have a spotter and you should be fine and have a Jeep in front and back of you in case you get in to trouble.It wood be even better if you have a 2.5 lift though if you had the $$.have fun.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

If its an auto you should get a skid to protect that trans cooler line, it's just begging to be ripped off

I have a 12 and used the evo protek that covers all I need
Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by olsonn
I would strongly suggest adding rock rails and skids, don't want to cause any easily prevented engine or body damage...a cheap come along and a hi-lift can easy take the place of a more expensive winch if you're on a budget.
You can hold off on new bumpers, they're not essential. Do more with less.

Lift, tires, protection, recovery gear are what I did and would suggest focusing on first.

Oh yeah, definitely a CB too.

Quick Reply: Must have mods