Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Must Have Armor?

Old 01-29-2015, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must Have Armor?

What are the weak points of a JKU from an armor perspective? In which order would you upgrade and with what?

I am going to add rock sliders already I know...comment away.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-Hammer
What are the weak points of a JKU from an armor perspective? In which order would you upgrade and with what?

Corner armor. One of the first things I did was bang up my corners and ripped off my license plate. I hammered it back as best I could, then painted it and covered it up with Metalcloak's Exo Corners. You can't even tell it happened anymore.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Engine/Oil Pan/Transmission skid
Evap canister skid
Rear control arm/shock skids

Heavy duty differential covers or skids (I prefer the covers since I won't lose ground clearance)

Transfer case skid is optional, IMHO, as the stock one is OK if you aren't going crazy on big rocks.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Perfect. Any recommendations?
Old 01-29-2015, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Evo Mfg Protek skid system if you have an auto (oil pan/crossmember/exhaust/trans). Only really need the oil pan and crossmember/exhaust if you have a manual. Everything else is factory skidded and will hold up just fine.

Id flip the steering stabilizer too just to get it out of the way of rocks but thats about it.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My personal opinion/priorities;
Rock Sliders
Evap Canister Skid
Diff Covers - ARB \ Lube Lockers
Oil Pan/Motor/Transmission Skid

*Message me any time for forum member pricing/free shipping on these
Old 01-29-2015, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Mine is an auto. I am picking it up tomorrow or I could just go look under the stupid thing...lol
Old 01-29-2015, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Perfect. Any recommendations?
JCR Offroad for the Engine/Evap skid
Old 01-30-2015, 02:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of the above PLUS full-width solid steel bumpers. They've saved body damage countless times, sedans don't do well getting too close to me, and tree damage isn't noticeable on these bumpers

Avoid a stubby, and not the cheaply pressed bumpers commonly advertised. For ~5years I've had rear Expedition One, and front Olympic Rock with 2" hitch, winch plate and stinger.

I also have a Rock Hard oil pan/ tranny skid plate, Warrior Corners with inset LED lights, and frame-mounted rock rails.

Last edited by westchester; 01-30-2015 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

What are you building the Jeep for? Mall crawling? Expedition/overland travel? Driving to the fishing/hunting shack? Seriously hard core rock crawling? If that last one is the answer, you might be surprised by how little aftermarket armor some of the hardest crawlers on this forum have installed in the past. Searching will provide you some interesting answers. At the other end, I have a good friend who chose some very heavy armor for his expedition rig. He hates dents, even where he can't see them. As for me (another expedition rig with a rock crawling past), I have dents here and there, but figure that's what the armor is for. A dent in the stock gas tank skid is not a real problem. A dent in the engine oil pan can be a very serious problem. And despite going light on the armor, I still ended up with a 7000 pound (fully loaded) JK. Armor you don't need is not your friend.

Quick Reply: Must Have Armor?