Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Muffler replacement questions

Old 05-10-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler replacement questions

So I think I'm about to replace my stock muffler with a Super 50 Flowmaster. I just wondered what others had done as far as inlet/outlet location. The stock muffler has a side inlet/center outlet, but of course the Flowmaster is much shorter. Did you guys go with an offset inlet or center inlet? Also, what is the stock pipe diameter?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I had a Flowmaster Delta 50 put on. They used the stock intake and centered the muffler in the stock location. I think the extended the intake pipe. Looks and sounds good, and it is up out of the way. I have not bashed it yet. Sounds good, too.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stock pipe diameter is 2.5"
I put a cherry bomb extreme on (I did a write up on it if u wanna see location)
Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorDad
I had a Flowmaster Delta 50 put on. They used the stock intake and centered the muffler in the stock location. I think the extended the intake pipe. Looks and sounds good, and it is up out of the way. I have not bashed it yet. Sounds good, too.
x2...mine is a Flowmaster Super 44 and i now wish i would have went with the 50 series instead.....annoying drone from 200-2500 rpm
Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had the 50 SUV muffler before on my tundra and it had a great sound with no drone. From what I can see they've just changed the name from 50 SUV to Super 50. I just wasn't sure if the replacement muffler in stock location would be best to be center or offset inlet.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why use a muffler at all? There is either 3 or 4 (I cant remember) catalytic converters in the system and it sounds awesome without the muffler all together! I don't think I've had a muffler for 3 years now.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dezertjeepin
Why use a muffler at all? There is either 3 or 4 (I cant remember) catalytic converters in the system and it sounds awesome without the muffler all together! I don't think I've had a muffler for 3 years now.
its too loud without a muffler...what i did is removed the catalyic converters and put on a american off road muffler...now it sounds amazing with no drone!

i will make a videoafter i get my car back.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the magnaflow, has a nice sound but not loud like a lot of the others out there. It tucks way up and centered where the old was. When behind jeep you can't see it all anymore!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black rose
its too loud without a muffler...what i did is removed the catalyic converters and put on a american off road muffler...now it sounds amazing with no drone!

i will make a videoafter i get my car back.
Mines not that loud at all. I've heard other JK's with different brand mufflers and mine seems to be about the same db's, just different tones.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:44 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezertjeepin

Many states require one and also have a visual inspection and will "fail" you without one.

Quick Reply: Muffler replacement questions