Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Muffler relocation

Old 08-28-2010, 11:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler relocation

Ok looks like I need to do a muffler relocation to free up the space where the stock muffler now sits (so I can add an air tank and compressor). I really want to keep the jeep as quiet as it is now with the stock muffler. It looks like there are two systems, Cool Tech and MBRP to choose from and I am looking for the most quiet.

Anyone have either system? Did the sound get a lot worse with either?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have one, but if you do have a two door, be sure to get the heat shield.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show......-Bad...-bad...
Old 08-29-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea I saw that. If I do this I am getting a heat shield for sure. But unless I find a system as quiet as stock I don't think I will pull the trigger.

Originally Posted by remark
I don't have one, but if you do have a two door, be sure to get the heat shield.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show......-Bad...-bad...
Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed the MBRP off road which i get from Northridge4x4. I can say its much louder, almost like a tuner. but a like deeper.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the Banks system because I know there stuff is good. I relocated the muffler after moving the evap canister above the axle. As for noise, I've found the Banks to be kind of ricy out of the box then after about a couple of weeks of driving it developed into a deeper tone that I don't find any louder than stock.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Another options are taking it to your local muffler shop to add a muffler & fab a tailpipe. Anything you do will be at least slightly louder, but a good turbo style muffler should not be offensive.

I plan to do the muffler myself & drive over to a local muffler shop to have them make & install a tailpipe.

Last edited by 4play; 08-29-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an MRBP off-road stainless which is great. As omeone else said, it's a bit louder but that grows on you and it's not too offensive (most of my passengers have either liked it or not apparently noticed).

I did this with a Kilby evap can relocation kit (need to relocate the Evap can for the 2 door). That worked perfectly - there are a variety of heat shields and relocation options for the Evap can. I went with the Kilby as you don't have to do any drilling which I was trying to avoid at the time.

When I put in MRBP I was surprised at how much space there was under the Jeep behind the rear axle (it cleans up the look from the rear as well). I did the mod roginally because 1) I could and I'm working my way up the mod difficulty range (!) and 2) because I wanted more ground clearance and better deprature angles.

I'm figuring out what to do with the extra rear space - but there are lots of options. 1) Air tank as you suggest 2) Evo level coilover 3) Increase size of rear tub storage 4) Soemthing entirely different.

Whatever you do with the space, the MRBP is a good way to go..(IMO)

Steve
Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea I think the rear where the muffler was is the perfect place to put an air tank and compressor. MRBP now has a heat shield that looks like it fixes the evap relocation need (for some reason that relo scares me). So its just a matter of buying the new exaust. I drive with the top down all summer long and the drone I have heard from other cat-backs would drive me nuts so thats really my hesitation or the order would be set already.

I guess it all comes down to sound and its really hard to get a real sense from the various sound files I have found posted. I know the MRBP is louder than stock but there a lot of mixed reports on exactly how much louder....

Guess I keep hoping for a local Chicago guy with one installed to pop up so I can hear it live.

Originally Posted by Steve Young
I have an MRBP off-road stainless which is great. As omeone else said, it's a bit louder but that grows on you and it's not too offensive (most of my passengers have either liked it or not apparently noticed).

I did this with a Kilby evap can relocation kit (need to relocate the Evap can for the 2 door). That worked perfectly - there are a variety of heat shields and relocation options for the Evap can. I went with the Kilby as you don't have to do any drilling which I was trying to avoid at the time.

When I put in MRBP I was surprised at how much space there was under the Jeep behind the rear axle (it cleans up the look from the rear as well). I did the mod roginally because 1) I could and I'm working my way up the mod difficulty range (!) and 2) because I wanted more ground clearance and better deprature angles.

I'm figuring out what to do with the extra rear space - but there are lots of options. 1) Air tank as you suggest 2) Evo level coilover 3) Increase size of rear tub storage 4) Soemthing entirely different.

Whatever you do with the space, the MRBP is a good way to go..(IMO)

Steve
Old 08-29-2010, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Slightly louder I can handle. Just trying to make the "slightly" as small as possible.

You think a muffler shop would do a relocation? I just assumed they would put a new muffler right where the old one is...

Originally Posted by 4play
Another options are taking it to your local muffler shop to add a muffler & fab a tailpipe. Anything you do will be at least slightly louder, but a good turbo style muffler should not be offensive.

I plan to do the muffler myself & drive over to a local muffler shop to have them make & install a tailpipe.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Anything after the cats they have no issue with as long as it exits past the passenger compartment. Many have posted that they have done it with cost typically Under $250

Quick Reply: Muffler relocation