Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Muffler Question

Old 02-24-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Muffler Question

I have come to the conclusion that a cat back exhaust is not going to add anything more than just simply adding a better muffler. It looks to me that the cat back does not improve on the piping that much to justify any increase in performance or flow. That said, I do think adding a high flow muffler would. I would like to hear your feedback on just replacing the muffler. I am looking at a magnflow, flowmaster, or a banks. I am going to add a CAI as well when I replace the muffler. The other thing is I DO NOT want it to sound like a rice burner either. The jeep is a 2011 Sahara, 6 speed, and is my daily driver. I will not be doing any lift or tire upgrades. Just looking to get a little more power and possibly better mileage. I also will be leaving the muffler in the stock location. Thanks for your replies.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can put whatever you want back there since there's tons of room. Go to a website that allows you to hear audio of the tone. Pick what you like.

Generally, higher flow mufflers are louder. There are some exceptions however. I run magnaflo's on both my jeeps. One of them makes my jeep sound like a full v-8, while the other is much quieter. Both improved my fuel economy.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone else on another thread told me to seek a straight flow thru design rather than a chambered to avoid the drone reverb in the cab on the hiway. Would this also be a better candidate for performance improvement?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 PM
JK Newbie

i put a dynomax cat-back system on mine and took it off two days later, couldn't stand it. No power increase at all just noise!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agingtech
i put a dynomax cat-back system on mine and took it off two days later, couldn't stand it. No power increase at all just noise!
Ya see, that is what I'm afraid of. I like hearing the exhaust note but probably would drive me batty on a 3 hour Interstate drive.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 PM
JK Junkie

I put only a Flomaster "original" muffler on my 4dr Jk and that's all... Nothing else. Now I have a nice deeper rumble sound.... And not bad at all on the hiway(expressway) it doesn't bother me. As far as power and gas mileage.... Didn't notice any difference. I think you can get 40 series 50 series and original in the Flomasters..... All sounding slightly different.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 PM
JK Junkie

Many of the straight through mufflers eliminate back pressuare and your jeep needs some backpressure for the computer to re-calibrate your air/fuel mixture.

It all comes down to sound. I have a muffler on my JK that's quiet at idle and low RBM's, but opens up when the RPM's run about 3000 and above. I think it is a good compromise for regular driving and off-road performance.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Let me ask one question that has been asked. That is will the MBRP or ? system give that much more HP than just going with a muffler alone? I read that you get 15-25 hp better with the system. I assume the bends and size make a difference.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...tion-What-fits this might help I think this is what your reffering to
Old 02-25-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

My flow master 40 , when idle you can bearly hear it , low rpm it sounds good , once I hit the freeway no more sound

Quick Reply: Muffler Question