Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Muffler and Evap relocation

Old 11-14-2010, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Muffler and Evap relocation

So how many of you relocate the muffler? I was just on Wood's website and see they relocate the muffler to where the evap was. I'm not sure about this as if the evap will get torn up here why wouldn't the muffler? I like how they relocate the evap though. Seems like a better idea than a skid for it. I've read a lot about these two, but just can't make up my mind on which to do, skids or relocate. Does the muffler get hit a lot in it's stock location??
Old 11-14-2010, 12:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with an aftermarket muffler after crushing mine. I went with the flowmaster super 44 offroad it's pretty tough looking (Diamondplated)and I havent crushed it yet. I did mount it in the center as close to the heat shield as I could and cut the pipe off at an angle down from the frame to prevent it from being crushed..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	flowmaster.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	102244  

Last edited by 08JKRHD; 11-14-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-14-2010, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the MBRP off road exhaust which relocates and uses a small muffler. The tail pipe sits higher then the bumper so you don't have to worry about smashing and closing it shut. There are a few good mods you can do in the area where the muffler used to be. I may add an extra gas tank in that location.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cameron1022
I have the MBRP off road exhaust which relocates and uses a small muffler. The tail pipe sits higher then the bumper so you don't have to worry about smashing and closing it shut. There are a few good mods you can do in the area where the muffler used to be. I may add an extra gas tank in that location.
I assume this is what you are using http://www.quadratec.com/products/17605_1203_07.htm That looks pretty good to me. How is the sound. I'm wanting to remain quiet. A little louder/throatier would be fine but not really looking for a louder exhaust.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's the one except mine is powder coated black. I love the sound. It has a pretty deep/throaty sound in the low rpm range while accelerating and at idle. Once you get up to speed you don't even know it's there. I have a soft top and it doesn't make conversing any more difficult and the radio also drowns it out. I think it's the prefect volume and the sound pairs well with the Jeep's toughness and ruggedness.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Awesome. I think that's what I'll do and the evap relocate. Thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Forgot to mention that I had installed a CAI before I installed the MBRP exhaust. The CAI added a nice low end growl of its own so the exhaust may be a little more quiet without one. There are a lot of members on the forum that run the MBRP and it has a lot of great feedback. Thats basically what sold me on it.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:55 PM
JK Junkie

Just another option to consider, but check out the Poison Spyder evap skid. It is pricier, but no possible warranty issues down the road, the evap can is protected on all sides and the skid looks like it could support the weight of the Jeep.

Easy 20 min. install too
Old 11-15-2010, 01:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffins
... check out the Poison Spyder evap skid. ... no possible warranty issues down the road...
Well, OP does own a 2007. Most of them did not have a lifetime warranty, and I don't think the lifetime drivetrain warranty will be affected by moving the evaporative canister anyway. I have the Woods kit and it's a bit more difficult to install than a skid, but not terribly difficult (I've installed/helped install three).

Back to original question about potential muffler damage, I think there are several things to consider when relocating the muffler:

1. Even if the muffler is damaged, it's not going to bring you to a stop or light up your dash (a damaged evaporative canister won't bring you to a stop either, but will probably light up your dash).

2. The relocated muffler allows for installation of the Wood's storage cubby mod, which doubles the size of it, and gives it straight sides.

3. The muffler is rather unsightly in its stock location.

Quick Reply: Muffler and Evap relocation