Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mud Tire Help

Old 05-27-2014, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mud Tire Help

I have searched, read and reviewed quite a bit on mud tires and now I would like some opinions. I am currently running 31 BFG Mud Terrains on my 2012 JK daily driver. However here in NW Florida the mud we have just fills them up and turns them into slicks. It doesn't come out of them no matter how fast I spin them. I am about to upgrade to a 35 ish tire and was originally looking at the Nitto Mud Grapplers (only 3 star rating in mud) but I guess they are not that great.

I did find this website which had a lot of good info: Mud Tire Reviews, Offroad Tires, 4x4 Mud Tire Reviews - Offroaders.com

Currently I am leaning towards the Dick Cepek Crushers (315/70R/17) not quite 35. These are rated really high in mud and appear to be very good at self cleaning. I was wondering if anyone ran these or had any other suggestions for a great mud self cleaning/DD tire.

Would love boggers but those are out lol
Old 05-27-2014, 09:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do some research on the GY MTR/k. They clean really well. There was an article I read somewhere about why they used a tread pattern where there is not a clear channel all the way across (supposed to make them better in mud). The Nitto's will get the job done though! Just not super road friendly - if that is something that matters.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have mtr/k on mine and have crawled rocks and slung mud with them with no complaints! they do a great job of clearing the tread out which is why I had to toss my flat fenders in the trash after getting loads if mud slung at them and cracking them... But the tires are awesome! And they last too, I'm at just over 30k on my current set and still have approx %50 tread.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:12 AM
Imp
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the Crushers and so far think they are very nice. Balanced them with beads and they run great on the road . I had the same problem with the BFG, they would ball right up, especially in clay. The Crusher doesnt load up at all on me.

Attachment 556081
Old 05-28-2014, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work on pipeline jobs and constantly in mud. I can tell you first hand trail grapplers are not so great in thick mud. You won't be happy with them when you see someone with a good mud tire go through where you get stuck.

The Toyos I have now clean out great and very easily. I would think there's even better tires for mud specific though.

I like the IRocks as a suggestion.

Edit: Seen just now you said Mud Grapplers not trail grapplers. I've never seen mud grapplers perform in person so can't say about those yet.

Sent from my Go Go Gadget handheld device.

Last edited by D3ADLY; 05-28-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by D3ADLY
I work on pipeline jobs and constantly in mud. I can tell you first hand trail grapplers are not so great in thick mud. You won't be happy with them when you see someone with a good mud tire go through where you get stuck.

The Toyos I have now clean out great and very easily. I would think there's even better tires for mud specific though.

I like the IRocks as a suggestion.

Edit: Seen just now you said Mud Grapplers not trail grapplers. I've never seen mud grapplers perform in person so can't say about those yet.

Sent from my Go Go Gadget handheld device.
How do the Toyos compare on-road to the Nittos you had? I just mounted the Trail Grapps on my Dad's Jeep and I'm jealous with how nice they are on-road vs. my MTR/ks.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

I have toyo 37s mts and on road they are great and surprisingly quiet too. They do a decent job in the mud and rocks.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NewOldSchool
I have toyo 37s mts and on road they are great and surprisingly quiet too. They do a decent job in the mud and rocks.
I suppose that is how it works. The MTRs are awesome off-road, but really loud on-road. Logical outcome I guess.

Quick Reply: Mud Tire Help