Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mud Flaps in Moab Easter Jeep Safari?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mud Flaps in Moab Easter Jeep Safari?

I'm going to EJS in March of this year and I read in an article that you had better have mud flaps on or you will be ticketed in Utah.

My 08 2 door is lifted 5" on 37's with ~1.5" sticking out of the stock fenders.
I am thinking of putting flaps on just for this trip, but would like to avoid the hassle.

What is anybody's actual experience with this?
Have you been ticketed?
Do you need flaps front and rear?
What did the ticket cost? (might be cheaper paying a ticket than buying/building flaps)

Same law here in Cali but I haven't been bothered in 4 years... yet.

Mike
Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to Moab numerous times (never the EJS though) and have never heard or experienced that being an issue.....
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your vehicle is legal in the jurisdiction in which it is registered, they cannot ticket you. Well, a zealous cop might try anyway. Federal law requires that all states honor each other's vehicle equipment laws - this includes fender, lifts, bumpers, lights, tires, wheels, suspension... pretty much anything that's bolted to your Jeep. So if you're feeling paranoid, do a little research, stash a copy of the relevant sections of your home state's laws in your glove box, and (POLITELY!!!) offer to show them to the officer if he/she is giving you a ticket. If they still give you a ticket for an equipment violation, a simple call to the DA's office should clear the matter up in minutes.

On the other hand, if you're in violation of your home laws as well as the local ones, well... Sucks to be you?

Quick Reply: Mud Flaps in Moab Easter Jeep Safari?