Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MTR's Rubbing Factory Fenders

Old 04-08-2014, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTR's Rubbing Factory Fenders

My Setup:
Lift = Teraflex 2.5" Coil and Shock lift
Wheels/Tires = ProComp 7069 w/ 4.75" backspacing on 35"x12.5x17 MTR's with 1.5" spacer/adapter

Background:
According to TF and other vendors, 2.5" lift should fit 35" tires. However, when disconnected and full flex, my tires rub the front fenders. After Further research, TF states that it will fit 35's only up to 4.5 backspacing or less. I'm obviously over that with my spacers/adapters. I really like the stance, and want to resolve the issue without removing the spacers/adpaters and without modifying the factor fenders.

Question(s):
1) By removing the 1.5 wheel spacers/adapters, should I completely clear the fendors? Will the additional 0.25 backspacing still cause rubbing?

2) I'm also thinking about adding additional lift. I've thought about either installing 3" teraflex coils (0.5" increase) OR 0.75 Daystar coil spacers (0.75") increase. I know there is significant cost difference ($400 vs. $40); but is there a performance difference between coils and coil spacers? Will either of these lifts clear the 35's from rubbing?

I'm leaning towards the coil spacers, so I can spend money elsewhere; I was thinking about getting a front adjustable trackbar and maybe front LCA's in an attempt to resolve a 'drift to the right' steering problem.

Anything other solutions (unrelated to fender modifications) out there?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:54 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding more lift won't fix the rubbing unless you add more bump stop, remove the wheel spacers or go with flat flares.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ncb
Adding more lift won't fix the rubbing unless you add more bump stop, remove the wheel spacers or go with flat flares.
Not disagreeing, just trying to understand. Why won't lift add more clearance? Flat flares will give me more clearance between the top of the tire and the bottom of fender. Won't the lift do the same, using the factory fender?

I'm increasing clearance via flat fenders (red arrow) or adding lift (yellow arrow); both results are the same. Is my logic not sound? Or are you saying a 0.5-0.75 additional lift isn't enough?

Last edited by awesomo; 04-08-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You need more bump stop. Adding more lift just raises the suspension and when you stuff the wheel it will still hit the fenders. More bump stop at your current lift height will keep the tires out of the fenders.

When running flat fenders you gain the clearance at the body (body lift will do the same thing) but you will still bottom out the factory bump stops before making contact.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 04-08-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You need more bump stop. Adding more lift just raises the suspension and when you stuff the wheel it will still hit the fenders. More bump stop at your current lift height will keep the tires out of the fenders.

When running flat fenders you gain the clearance at the body (body lift will do the same thing) but you will still bottom out the factory bump stops before making contact.
Ok, I think I understand what you and NcB are saying: Adding more lift DOES NOT increase the distance between the bump stop and the fender. How much more bump stop do I need? Will just removing the wheel spacers/adapters help me?
Old 04-08-2014, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You can get rid of the adapters but you will likely rub with a 35x12" tire and 4.75" bs wheel. You might try it an see, I don't know what you are doing with your rig. You typically need 2" more bump stops with 35" tires and factory fenders.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You can get rid of the adapters but you will likely rub with a 35x12" tire and 4.75" bs wheel. You might try it an see, I don't know what you are doing with your rig. You typically need 2" more bump stops with 35" tires and factory fenders.
You mentioned bodylift. If I were to go down that road, will 1.25 inch of body lift give me enough clearance?

Last edited by awesomo; 04-08-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

it should if your rubbing is slight

Last edited by TheDirtman; 04-08-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by awesomo
Not disagreeing, just trying to understand. Why won't lift add more clearance? Flat flares will give me more clearance between the top of the tire and the bottom of fender. Won't the lift do the same, using the factory fender? I'm increasing clearance via flat fenders (red arrow) or adding lift (yellow arrow); both results are the same. Is my logic not sound? Or are you saying a 0.5-0.75 additional lift isn't enough?
Think of the suspension having a lower stop and an upper stop. The upper stop is the bump stop. Adding a spring spacer will change the ride height and where it sits at rest in the total range of axle movement.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

I dont' really want to cut my fenders, install a body lift, remove my spacers/adapters, or install new flat fenders.

But I might just go to my original plan get some Bushwackers

Quick Reply: MTR's Rubbing Factory Fenders