Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MTR Kevlar?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had some balance issues, but taking some time to road force, and/or rotate the tire on the rim, and they balanced fine. All except one of the 5, which they replaced for free (tho admittedly I think the guy was just being lazy)

They are an amazing tire on and off road, an I will by them again.

And yes, some took 3-5 oz. But they ride great.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on my third set of MTR/K. The performance pros outweigh the cons; which is why I keep buying the damn things. The only con being the balancing and its a really annoying con. If you get one that is excessively out of round, take it back, force them to swap them out. One of the local tire shops hates selling me these tires because, especially at 37", I've taken back a total of 4 on three sets of tires. But hey, at $350 per tire, I want a goddamned round tire.

A note on how they are made. I talked to a Goodyear guy and he stated that they are made by taking I think eight separate pieces and then putting them together for the round tire shape. This means lots of seams. More seams, means more heavy, lumpy spots, harder to balance.

The smoothest, roundest tires I ever had were the Firestone Destination M/T. I swear, it was like heaven on the highway. Great tire on rock, mud, deep snow, but scary as shit on slicked off snowy roads. Also the Mickey Thompson MTZ was a really nice, round, smooth tire.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Junkie

My 35's balanced like crap always took way too much weight and threw them off all the time they were rebalanced every 4 -6 months. The new 37's I just got balanced first shot with very little weight...go fig. Although from what I've read the 35's and under take a lot balance and constantly have issues compared to the 37's and up. Maybe different tire compounds?
Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fadeout
My 35's balanced like crap always took way too much weight and threw them off all the time they were rebalanced every 4 -6 months. The new 37's I just got balanced first shot with very little weight...go fig. Although from what I've read the 35's and under take a lot balance and constantly have issues compared to the 37's and up. Maybe different tire compounds?
Mine are 35s
Old 11-02-2011, 07:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my MTR's with Kevlar. All 5 of my tires balanced out. Except one of them took some excessive weight (7oz), while my others are in the 3oz range.

I've only had my tires rotated once, and when they were rotating them I had them take off all of the weights and re-balance the tires. A couple of the tires took less weight than what was originally on them. So, I will probably at least do this once or twice more.

I can deal with some excessive weight, especially on such a light tire, and they are a very durable tire!
Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKRVEE
Mine are 35s
which is a rare thing after reading some of the older threads the 35's take a lot to balance for a bunch of people although some get a "good set" that takes very little. I'm glad your's balance with no trouble.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

For the people on there second or more set. what life do they have?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brandon1024
For the people on there second or more set. what life do they have?
My last set had 28000 on them, had about 1/3 tread left, I sold them to a friend for 200.00 and he's still running them on his CJ
Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

I just went out and looked at my 35's. Discount Tire mounted and balanced my tires on the stock wheels about a month ago. I have 3 oz's on one wheel and the other 3 have 1.5 oz's or less. I must have gotten lucky with my set. Sorry you guys are having balance issues.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scarpp
Who else has had issues with balancing these tires? Did you have to use a ton of weight?
Mine were dynamically balanced with weights on the inside and outside. No excessive weights on any tire. It just takes time to spin the tire on the wheel. Discount Tire did mine and did a great job - but you do pay extra for a dynamic balance. Well worth the price.

Quick Reply: MTR Kevlar?