Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MTR Kevlar?

Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTR Kevlar?

I just received my RR black satin rims from Dave at Northridge ( Thanks for the fast shipping!) Had the goodyear mtr kevlars put on them. They look awesome, but has anyone had difficulties with the balancing of these tires. The guys at goodyear pointed out to me the excessive amount of tire weights they needed to put on them. I mean a ridiculous amount of tire weights! I actually need to go back and have 1 tire re-balanced because 6 weights fell off on the ride home.
Will this be a problem in the future and are the weights only held on by double sided sticky tape? Seems a bit weak to me.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

This is a known problem with the mtr's. This is why it is good to research products before you buy them. I would have them balance with the old style clips instead of the stick on weights
Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine didnt balance for crap, and swapped them for KM2's and have been much happier. Crazy bad how crappy mine were on the highway, and they gave me DW. Good luck, maybe try dynamic balancing (dynabeads, BB's etc.)
Old 11-02-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine wee hard to balance at first, but I kept spinning the tires on the wheels until I was happy with runout. All 4 of my tires balanced to 0 and now have a roadforce of less then .012 which is well under the acceptable amount for a small passenger car tire let alone a large mud tire.

They can be balance it just takes time.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

I'm starting to think the tire boys out in the eastern states need tire balancing classes. I'm on my 5th set of MTRs and have had ZERO balancing problems, and ZERO problems period. Someone would have to come out with a miracle tire for me to run anything but the Good Years.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:16 AM
JK Newbie

I did research on this forum and I didn't find any bad reviews on these tires. I'm sure there is something, but I didn't see anything. What I did find was many positive reviews. A couple people said they had a hard time with the balancing but liked the tire . all of the my tires were balanced, one must have had defective tape on the weights, they just took a crap load of weight to balance them. As far as the clip on weights, there is no lip on the wheels to attach the weight to.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKRVEE
I'm starting to think the tire boys out in the eastern states need tire balancing classes. I'm on my 5th set of MTRs and have had ZERO balancing problems, and ZERO problems period. Someone would have to come out with a miracle tire for me to run anything but the Good Years.
I wish these guys had your skills then, What did you do to balance your tires and what type of wheels did you use?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Basic eagle alum wheels, and use the thinnest stick on weights to clear the calipers.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I am getting some wobble at around 40 mph with dyna beads and if I hit a big bump just right it will go into dw. I have rotated them and get the same result and can see the wobble on each of the tires. I can see a wobble in the tire at those speeds and plan on trying a conventional balancing on them when I get them broken down to remove the beads. They are great tires for off road but if I can't get them balanced I will get some different 35's for everyday driving and just use the 37's for the trails
Ummm... shaking and shimmying I would attribute to tire balance. Death wobble? Not so much... I'd check torque on all your front suspension components before you go through the trouble of pulling out the dynabeads.

And I'm just curious here... how many ounces of the beads did you use in each of those 37s?
Old 11-02-2011, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Who else has had issues with balancing these tires? Did you have to use a ton of weight?

Quick Reply: MTR Kevlar?