Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MTR/K odd tread wear

Old 06-30-2012, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTR/K odd tread wear

So I noticed this just getting out and looking how dirt is sticking to two of my tires. If you look in this picture i know it may be hard to see, it seems every other lug on the all terrain strip is wearing on my tires.
There is a noticeable wear difference between the lugs almost wearing diagonally, Its hard to explain.
Checked my toe in.. could it be a simple air pressure issue? im running 27lbs.
They're 35in mtr/k and have been rotated about every 5k
Thanks for the help sorry they are sideways

Old 06-30-2012, 05:33 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

totally typical for mtr's. we ran a set and no matter what i did, i couldn't get them to balance right or wear right.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotate as much as possible. It doesn't alleviate fully as wol stated, but helps a tiny bit.

I rotate once a month
Old 06-30-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the tire not you. I have the same issues and like stated below the only fix and it's not a fix is to rotate them constantly. The Sade part is that I love the look and performance offroad. I have a constant shimmy from them. If I rotate at 3,000 miles or less I can keep it to a min but if I go to long it is horrible. Discount tire refuses to help me because they have been trued which honestly helped them for a while. D/T keeps blaming everything else on the Jeep
Old 06-30-2012, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright appreciate the info, super lame but makes me feel better none the less.
Great looking but not wearing
Thanks again
Old 06-30-2012, 06:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately.
I think my next set will be toyo o/c's. They are what I was going to buy when I found these. Good luck w/ them.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

I had the exact same thing happen to the right front of one of my treadwrights. Something I had never seen before.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm glad I saw this thread. Those were* going to be the next set I got after my KM2's. Now I guess it's between Toyo and Duratrec
Old 08-29-2019, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

I have exact same weird issue. Daughter drives 2014 Rubicon with 39K miles. We bought 13000 miles back and we did no rotation! I can understand shocks, alignment and ball joints can cause tire wear issues, but every other lug exactly as you guys mentioned is hard to comprehend and relate it to shocks, alignment or ball joints. Every other lug is almost 1/4 inch higher than the next flat one. if inside wear, outside wear, mid-wear or cupping, I can understand, but I wish someone could explain the physics of such a thing happening when all other tires have perfect uniform wear. I just assumed there is a steel-belt inside broke that connects every other lug .

Great to have this forum, so I can bounce crazy things like this after scratching my head and taking a bunch of pictures to make sure, I am not just seeing things.

Quick Reply: MTR/K odd tread wear