Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MTR/Black Rock 909 Question

Old 04-07-2011, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTR/Black Rock 909 Question

Alright, so here's what I KNOW: MTRs are NOT a directional tire...got it.

HOWEVER, the dudes from DTD mounted my tires so that the the tread "points" forward on four tires when mounted on the left side, what this leaves me with is that the tread on my tires points forward for all tires EXCEPT my front-passenger side. Maybe I'm just looking at this wrong, but doubt it. My question: Is this a safe setup to run the tires "as is" with three tires with tread pointing forward and one with tread pointed back?

Next question is for the folks running Black Rock alloys...or maybe just those running the 909 Type D. I'm putting the plastic center caps on, but they are only screwed on with one screw, and when I tighten it down, it raises the opposite end where the "fake" screw is, which leads me to not tighten down too much; therefore, leaving the center caps...floppy? If pics are needed, I'll add them, but I figure anyone running the setup can help out here.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default search function

So quick search shows that it's not which direction the tread points but that the big lugs are on the outside...that solves that, I guess.

Still curious about the wheel caps.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Freak

Default Black Rock 909's D-Windows

I just ordered 5 of the Black Rock 909's type D 15X8 with BFG KM2's 35X12.50X15. Should arrive Monday
I read a review on "4wheel Drive Parts" about the exact same issue, but no fix from poster, just complained.
If I have the same issue, I'll modify as needed. Since I don't have them yet, can't give an answer. Maybe modify cap, drill and tap "fake" screw, add "real" screw.

I'll subscribe to this thread to see if anyone else has a solution.
I'll post my solution as soon as I figuire it out.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default me too

Don't know about the MTRs but I have the 909s and I have the same stupid problem. The plastic wheel cap is poorly designed and the fact that they actually went ahead an sold it without looking at this is remarkable. Anyways, I've tried adding some small spacers and stuff but nothing seems to do it. Let me know if you figure something out
Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess live with it...
Old 04-10-2011, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zombie Hunter
I just ordered 5 of the Black Rock 909's type D 15X8 with BFG KM2's 35X12.50X15. Should arrive Monday
I read a review on "4wheel Drive Parts" about the exact same issue, but no fix from poster, just complained.
If I have the same issue, I'll modify as needed. Since I don't have them yet, can't give an answer. Maybe modify cap, drill and tap "fake" screw, add "real" screw.

I'll subscribe to this thread to see if anyone else has a solution.
I'll post my solution as soon as I figuire it out.
You'll see that you can't really screw into the "fake", b/c you'd had to drill into the wheel itself. I guess you could, but not sure I'd be comfortable drilling into the wheel and losing integrity. Eh, who knows? I'm contemplating glue...but then I'd have to figure out how to remove to change the tires. ha.

One of the things I love about these 909s, however, is they are set to fit to two different types of sizes. Will make for an easier option to sell them off if ever need be.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

I have the 909s and the MTR's, love them except the stupid center caps all tore themselves off the first time I took the jeep out, so needless to say, I'm now looking for matte black spray paint to cover up the hubs that the center caps left exposed. Will def be replacing these rims when I change tires.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, the center caps are terrible.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

dayum. i have a set of these on order. this is the first im hearing of this center cap issue. maybe mine will be special and not have this problem?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pickick
dayum. i have a set of these on order. this is the first im hearing of this center cap issue. maybe mine will be special and not have this problem?
lol you hope...

Quick Reply: MTR/Black Rock 909 Question