Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

MT/R balancing problems?

Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT/R balancing problems?

I just got my new Goodyear MT/R Kevlars 315/75/16's about a week and a half or so ago. I have had them balanced 3 times by 2 different dealers and still get a small wheel wobble at 40-50 mph. It is not bad but just enough to bug the crap out of me.

These things took allot of weight, anywhere from 1# to 1.6#'s of weight per tire......My Terras that I took off only used about 8oz each or less.

1- should I just not worry about it?
2- should I add say 4oz of the dino beads to each wheel?
3- HELP.......

ps....I love the tires other than this little quirk....
Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have them road force balanced. This will tell the tech how to position the tire on the rim to minimize the amount of weight needed in the balancing. Also the computer will tell the tech which corner to put each tire on and it will help to reduce any vibrations.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:16 AM
JK Junkie

The last shop used the Hunter GSP9700.....they told me it was top of the line....
Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BaltChief
The last shop used the Hunter GSP9700.....they told me it was top of the line....
they lied... roadforce em... if that doesn't do it you may have 1 or more tires out of round
Old 06-09-2009, 05:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
they lied... roadforce em... if that doesn't do it you may have 1 or more tires out of round
Hmmmm, now I am confused. According to Hunters website the 9700 is a roadforce balancer....
Old 06-09-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have pro comp xterrains I love short of being out of round. I had mine all road forced for a grand total of about $50 to no avail. I have to live with it.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Junkie

Hmmmm, now I am confused. According to Hunters website the 9700 is a roadforce balancer....
Did you ask if they broke the bead to spin the tire on the wheel to use them to offset each other? Sometimes the techs will be lazy and just add weights instead of actually breaking the bead, spinning the tire, and then resetting the bead.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

it is THEIR website of course it says that.... with larger offroad tires I have had better results with RF
Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

Balancing M/T's of any kind can be a serious challenge... trust me, I know.

What I would try is removing all the weight altogether, and have a shop use balancing beads only. I had great success with this on an F-350 with 22" wheels and BFG A/T's. They were absolutely impossible to balance with conventional weights.

Quick Reply: MT/R balancing problems?