Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mr. Mechanic ruined my wheel studs!!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunemobbin
I work at a tire shop, and torque my own lug nuts @ 120. Spec is 110-135, and have never had a problem with my stock or aftermarket wheels. He must have air gun-ed the shit out of them.
95lbs is the proper torque

From owners manual....
9. Finish tightening the lug nuts. Push down on the
wrench while tightening for increased leverage. Alternate
nuts until each nut has been tightened twice. Correct
wheel nut tightness is 130 N·m (95 ft. lbs). If in doubt
about the correct tightness, have them checked with a
torque wrench by your authorized dealer or at a service station
Old 06-03-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunemobbin
I work at a tire shop, and torque my own lug nuts @ 120. Spec is 110-135, and have never had a problem with my stock or aftermarket wheels. He must have air gun-ed the shit out of them.
Torque spec from the service manual is 85-125. I usually torque ours to 95

And I would drive my jeep out of their garage on the rotor, before I would pay 265 for 5 studs they broke!!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy
Believe me, I would totally do this on my own. I could fall asleep under my jeep since it's the one place that I enjoy hanging out the most. Anyways,....my jeep is stuck on a lift at the dealership with ALL 5 studs broken off of the left rear wheel. If there's a way to duct tape a tire on it so that I could get it home I would but there's no possible way to move it from where it is. I'm not sure if their insurance policy would allow me to work in there shop on my own car. God forbid the lift would break with the luck i'm having. I have a feeling that I'm being charged for the overnight shipment of the studs, the labor for him breaking the studs off, the labor for him to call me and take time to tell me that he broke them all off, and the labor for eating a sandwich while looking up how to change out a wheel stud.....oh and also for him to take the 10 minutes to actually do the job. $265.00 per tire. DON'T WORRY guys, i'm just having him do the one tire so that I can get it out of there. Then I'll change out all the rest myself and with the assistance of Mr. Beer can

$265 to change lugnuts on one wheel? Thats highway robbery I would report that Dealer to the BBB too and I would tell the service manager to his face, 5lugnuts shouldnt cost more then 10bucks even at a dealer.

OK I had to look them up. here print this out and then make the service manager eat it. They are charging $255 for labor to replace lugnuts??? They are saying it takes about 2.5-3hrs to break lugs and replace them? Thats just INSANE I did that quicker when I was 16 and didnt even drive yet on the ground in my driveway

moparpartsamerica.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214583&Sec tionids=0,2512&groupid=2513&subgroupid=2789&compon entid=&make=17&model=Wrangler&year=2007&graphicID= WJ07245&callout=4&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

there you go 2bucks a stud
Old 06-03-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy
I took my problem to an actual jeep dealership and they said it's not covered under warranty, of course, and they are only allowed to put factory lugs on the factory studs, which concerns me since certain lugs are used specifically for the procomp 7089's. Here's the kicker...it's gonna cost $265.00 per 5 studs X 4 wheels....plus one rim has been damaged from the AIR GUN that was apparently used also...which we all know is a big NO NO The holes in the rim where "egged out" so to speak, making it a big, retarded paper-weight. I wonder if I can use my 3 year warranty on the rim though? They're from Offroadtoystore.

Oh,....and it's gonna take 4 days. They can't just take the studs off of a jeep on the lot, they have to order the damn studs from somewhere else. What a joke. Lastly, no loaner car to be had. Yes, one of the biggest jeep dealerships in upstate NY and they don't even have a car for me....so now I have to pay about 130 bucks for a 4 day fun fest in a turd car. The good news is that I've learned my lesson with others working on my jeep and also that in the next 4 days, I'll probably save some money driving my 2 cylinder, florescent, Taiwanese rental.

Good god

Randy
Please PM the name of that dealership (if don't want to post it here). I have had nothing but crap when it comes to the dealers and I want to add this one to the list without the suffering your having to deal with. This is why I am the only one that works on my rig.

I would pay a local tow company to haul your rig back to your house and then report the dealer to the BBB. Then go back and show the mechanic how you torque nuts!!

ADK

Quick Reply: Mr. Mechanic ruined my wheel studs!!