Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mr. Mechanic ruined my wheel studs!!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mr. Mechanic ruined my wheel studs!!

So I was at a local shop getting my spare tire reversed so that the white lettering is on the inside and this mechanic tried to be nice and check all of the lugs on all 4 tires by torquing them to 120 ft lbs, way over the limit. I found this out when I tried to rotate my tires and the studs started to snap off. After a tow back to the shop, this mechanic tells me that he torqued them to 120 and that there isn't enough stud there for the 35 inch procomp rims and tires. He says that I need longer ones. I have the Sahara 4dr JK with the Dana 44 rear, and a superlift 4 inch lift. Of course, even though he admitted to over-torquing, nothing is covered under warranty because of the tire size.

Aside from this mess, has anyone looked into changing out all of the studs, getting longer or more durable ones. Is this even an option for the Procomp 7089 wheels?

So, all 5 studs snapped off and I'm sure the rest will snap off if i take them off too, which I'll have to do eventually......so...that's my dilemma. Replace with stock studs or go longer??????
Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pound his nose into his face with your fist and say, "I'm sorry, but because you are a worthless know nothing piece of crap POSING as a mechanic, I am not responsible for that nose damage." What an asshole. There are people on here running 37s and larger with no stud problems at all. You should report this shop to the BBB.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Good GOD.

Hell, the 17 year old kids at Valvoline instant oil changes dont even over-torque.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

ARE YOU SHIITING ME !?! get that meat whistler tuner to fix his mistake and then NEVER go back there.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow.

There isn't enough lug for a 35" tire? 120 ft. lbs.? Whisky Tango Foxtrot, over.

That'd be the last time I go to that shop and I would make them pay for every penny of replacing the lugs...and they wouldn't do the work.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:35 AM
JK Super Freak

i would beat his head in with the torque wrench tuned to 120 and ask him how it feels. then when he stumbles to his feet tune it up to 150 and Finnish him off.

what a moron.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Junkie

I dont even know what to say... I cant believe he tried giving you that line of BS...
Old 06-03-2008, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd make him replace them for sure. Then get a nice set of spline lug nuts that nobody will mess with.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy
... Replace with stock studs or go longer??????
Replace them with stock studs. I have the 7089s (but 33s) and the studs are the proper length. He's demonstrated incompetence. Sure, report him to the BBB, but they are powerless to do any more than tell a future customer there was a complaint (they won't even reveal the details of the complaint). Get your money back by taking him to small claims court (no lawyer required). I wouldn't let him touch my JK to fix the problem--like I said, he's demo'd his incompetence already.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

I took my problem to an actual jeep dealership and they said it's not covered under warranty, of course, and they are only allowed to put factory lugs on the factory studs, which concerns me since certain lugs are used specifically for the procomp 7089's. Here's the kicker...it's gonna cost $265.00 per 5 studs X 4 wheels....plus one rim has been damaged from the AIR GUN that was apparently used also...which we all know is a big NO NO The holes in the rim where "egged out" so to speak, making it a big, retarded paper-weight. I wonder if I can use my 3 year warranty on the rim though? They're from Offroadtoystore.

Oh,....and it's gonna take 4 days. They can't just take the studs off of a jeep on the lot, they have to order the damn studs from somewhere else. What a joke. Lastly, no loaner car to be had. Yes, one of the biggest jeep dealerships in upstate NY and they don't even have a car for me....so now I have to pay about 130 bucks for a 4 day fun fest in a turd car. The good news is that I've learned my lesson with others working on my jeep and also that in the next 4 days, I'll probably save some money driving my 2 cylinder, florescent, Taiwanese rental.

Good god

Quick Reply: Mr. Mechanic ruined my wheel studs!!